classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello from the PNW

macnewbie
Hi all!

I just joined the forum as I picked up this beauty. 1986 XLT Lariat, 2WD, 5.8 HO Windsor engine.

Needs just a tiny bit of TLC but she has been with one family her whole life and they took really good care of her.

Juan

Juan

1986 F-150 XLT Lariat 2WD, 351w HO
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello from the PNW

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

Wow, that is a nice truck!  They really did take good care of it.  Should make it a lot easier to make it "right" for your use.

What part of the PNW?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by macnewbie
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

macnewbie
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I am in Bellevue, WA 98008
Juan

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

macnewbie
OK, I have now had a bit of time to make an inventory of the small things that need to be addressed. Not sure whether to keep it here or start a new thread. But for the sake of getting things going and gathering some advice from the more experienced folks:

1. Charge the A/C - Done. It was not cooling at all. Checked the pressure, 7psi. Charged it to 100 psi and lost only 1.3psi over 30 minutes, so decided to charge the system with R-12 as the truck has not been converted. It took 3.3 lbs and started producing a 40 degree drop inside the cabin.

2. Replace tires. The tires it was riding on had ~85% tread left, but had a 125 mfg code, indicating they were made in March of 1995. Well past time to replace them. Went with the same tire that was installed, Michelin MTX M/S on the factory wagon wheels.

2. Fix driver door - the door seals are in place and in good condition, but when the door closes it is not "tight" and rattles a bit when underway. I read there is a plastic bushing that may be missing or needing replacement? I will check after work today.

3. Cruise control appears to be inoperative - Not sure where to start.

4. Fuel tank selector switch - no movement on the gauge when selecting rear tank. Not sure where to start.

5. Engine stall issue when slowing down and then accelerating. Eg. making a turn, or stopping at a red light. Not sure if this is a fuel issue, a tuning issue, a tranny issue?

I am waiting for my service manuals (purchased a complete set on eBay) to arrive, but if you have any ideas for me in the mean time please send my way!
Juan

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here is ok, but you'll get more attention in the main section.  Your call.

Good going on the A/C.  And good plan on the tires.  

On the doors, there is a thread called Pex Door Striker Mod that might help.

And our page at Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control might help with that one.

But I don't know where to start on the stalling issue so I'll address the fuel gauge.  It should be wired as shown below, which is from the 1986 EVTM at Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1986 EVTM, so it isn't all that complicated.  However, when you say there is "no movement on the gauge when selecting rear tank", do you mean that it still reads the same regardless of the switch position?  If that is the case then it sounds like the switch itself has failed.

I would check the input and output of the switch.

Reply | Threaded
|

macnewbie
Thank you Gary, when you say "main" section do you main the forum "root" directory, or the /Projects sub forum or???

Also thank you for the tips. Striker is fixed now too! But down the rabbit hole of your backup camera saga I go! :)
Juan

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, main section would be the root.  But Projects works also.  Your call.

As for the backup camera, I LOVE mine.  Backed up last night in the dark and could easily see what was back there.  

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by macnewbie
macnewbie wrote
Went with the same tire that was installed, Michelin MTX M/S on the factory wagon wheels.
You probably ment LTX M/S ?
Oh, nice nails, BTW.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.