Hello from Colorado with an '81 F250!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello from Colorado with an '81 F250!

taskswap
Hi everyone, Chad and Alisa here in Colorado with a new (to us) 1981 F-250 Custom 4x2. We're calling our project "Rocky" for now.

It's in rough shape cosmetically but the engine (6.6L V8) was recently rebuilt and runs strong, it starts almost instantly, has a new exhaust, and the manual transmission... well... it sure isn't perfect but it drives.

I'm in the process right now of gutting the interior. The previous owner(s) basically destroyed anything soft or plastic so I pulled literally everything out into my garage. I'm going to evapo-rust, oil, coat, paint, polish, test, and/or whatever else each part needs one by one and build the interior back up over the next few months.

This also came with a beat-up Starcraft camper shell that we'll be renovating as well. With any luck this will be ready to use as a hunt truck by next year. We have a bigger camper for family trips but our kids are teens and getting ready to go off to wherever, so my wife and I want something more compact when we're just farting around the back-country ourselves.

Nice to meet you all.

-Chad

--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello from Colorado with an '81 F250!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Chad & Alisa!  Glad you joined.  

Nice truck.  And the 400 can be a really strong engine.  Should be a workhorse.

What part of CO?  We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu), and could put you on it if we had a city or zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by taskswap
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
We're in Lafayette (80026) if you want to throw us on the map.

So far this site has already been a huge help, so many thanks. I bought the shop manuals and other materials but as we all know, that stuff isn't exactly gospel. I found out tonight I have that mystery ARA A/C system that isn't covered by the manuals and there's a thread here on exactly that topic!

Mods: should I post project progress here or under Projects? I figured I'd share a few photos as I go.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.  

And glad the site is helping.  Makes all the work worth it.

As for a thread about your truck, it is your choice but here isn't "right".  I do most of mine in the main section, but others like theirs in Projects.  So that's up to you.  But we do like to see pics and follow along on the journey.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI