Hello Everyone

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello Everyone

Waylon109
Hi, I recently picked up an ‘81 F-100 Custom with one of the Explorer packages.  It’s got the 300 straight 6, the Clark 4spd with overdrive, and axle code 07 (which from what I understand is a 2.47 gearset), power steering, power brakes, 5x4.5 bolt pattern, 28 spline axles and…. Rust. There’s a decent amount of it in the cab floor around the doors, in the bed, the battery tray is gone, and in the hood. The price was right though and I’ll get to learn some things by fixing it all. Glad to meet everyone.
1981 Ford F-100 Explorer 2WD in Dark Caramel Metallic, Single Cab Longbed, Clark 4spd OD, 4.9L Straight Six, 2.47 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello Everyone

mat in tn
nice find. od with 2.47 should do well. I'm running a similar setup but with 2.79.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Waylon109
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

Man, 2.47 and OD is really a high-geared outfit.  I've heard others with a combo like that say they couldn't shift into OD if there was a hill in that zip code.  

But it should be good for cruising, that's for sure.  

Show us some pics?  You may want to look at how to post pics in the FAQ's at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's in the menu.

And speaking of the menu, you can see our map at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map.  We can add you with a city/state or zip - with or without a hill.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Waylon109
1981 Ford F-100 Explorer 2WD in Dark Caramel Metallic, Single Cab Longbed, Clark 4spd OD, 4.9L Straight Six, 2.47 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good job posting the pics.  And nice truck.  You even have the Explorer hood ornament.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Waylon109
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool. It’s pretty banged up though. I wonder if there’s any reproductions available?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There are some NOS ones about from time to time.  Check out this thread: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Explorer-hood-ornament-assembly-E0TZ-16850-B-NOS-td54220.html

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Waylon!  

That's a very nice truck you've found.
Hopefully we can help you with whatever you need
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Waylon109
I got the truck out of a field from a farmer that’s had it sitting there for years. I finally got it to turn over today after putting Marvel Mystery Oil on each piston through the spark plug holes, waiting a day and a half, and turning it by hand before changing the oil and popping a battery in.  I was concerned because there was a ton of sludge and a bit of water (not a lot, just a bit of clear water at the bottom of the pan) but when I turned the key it started turning right over. I did unhook the fuel line and pop all the leads of the spark plugs beforehand, but yeah, I’m stoked.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Glad it's not seized.
Congratulations!

Did the farmer say why he parked it?

Hopefully the rings will begin to seal when you finally get it running.

Not uncommon for a bit of condensation to settle to the bottom of the pan.
Good you dropped the oil, water is not the first thing that engine wants to see, when it starts.

Depending on how bad the sludge is (maybe pull the valve cover?) you might want to run some ATF, MMO, or Rislone for a bit, changing filters often....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
why and for how long is major. the fact that clear water was accumulated below the oil tells me that it sat for long enough to have been hot/cold many, many years. I would be very surprised if the cyl walls were not heavily rusted. certainly, the open ones. they don't have to rust stuck to get horribly pitted from rust. I hope it comes to life well enough for you but do not be surprised if it smokes or has a bit of a miss. you might be lucky, and it may smooth out though. any chance it was in Arizona?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
You'll want to clean it up slowly as having everything come loose at once can plug the oil pickup.  David/1986F150Six had that happen to him years after buying the truck.  He was on a trip and oil pressure started going away.  He had to turn around and go home and then pull the pan and clean it.

I can't tell you what is the best process for getting the sludge out slowly.  But Jim's suggestion of pulling the valve cover might be part of that.  And the fact that you've already pulled the pan and gotten that sludge out will certainly help.

Reply | Threaded
|

Waylon109
I actually didn’t drop the pan. I drained all I could out, emptied my collection pan and then just poured cheap fresh oil into the engine and let it drain through back into the empty collection pan. I also had a long flathead screwdriver that I raked the bottom of the pan with. I made sure not to get the mesh on the oil collector with the screwdriver though.  At the end I wasn’t getting any sludge.  I plan on getting a small marine gas tank so I can get some fresh gas in there and see if I can’t get it to run.  Think I might do a compression test first though.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
a flush with solvent does rinse out the oil sludge but the danger does come with the chance that chunks and bits of hardened oil break off and clog up oil passages large and small. do not run the engine that way as whatever bearings you have left will not like it. marvel mystery oil in the oil is a slower process but you can run the engine with it added to your new oil. I have also known many to add a qt of trans fluid in lieu of one quart of oil. this is a strong detergent and still a lubricant. either way you should know more once you have it running.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, my misunderstanding.  But you've done a pretty good job of cleaning the best you can w/o dropping the pan.

But I'm not sure I'd worry about doing a compression check just yet.  The rings may or may not be sealed now, but might down the road, literally, if you drive it.

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Welcome!!

And agree with Gary on compression test. Be best to use as a troubleshooting tool if you can't get it to run.

Wait until engine starts and runs a little bit and has had oil circulated everywhere and rings are free. Once it has ran then you can compression test it cold and when warm. Warm readings are more important. Readings can come down when warm.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

Waylon109
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. This is specifically why I came to be a part of this forum. You all seem quite knowledgeable and downright helpful.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Welcome
I did not see it asked but where is home and do you want to be added to members map, city or area code will work.

If you have the tools (welder) replacing the floor pans, rockers and cab corners is not that bad as I had to do that on my 81 F100 flare side.

Being it turns over I would for go the compression test and see how it runs.
Then if there is signs of it running poorly than do the test.
When I road tested my truck it had a miss first thing I did was a test and found compression was good.
Did a tune up and motor ran great I then started pulling the truck apart for a 4 year cab off rebuild.

I run my motor off a small gas can set on the inner fender as I did not want gas sitting in the tanks as I did other work. I would say just think about replacing the tank(s) and sender(s) as it is not worth the work to try and get the bad fuel and rust out of them.

My parts truck have the OD trans and 2.47 rear gear. I never drove it as it had no motor and was rolled over.
My truck has a 300 and NP435 granny first transmission and 2.75 rear gear. I did add a Advance Adapter over drive and is great as it only spins 1800 RPM @ 70 MPH and no one dose 70 here
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Oh wanted to add about the oil flush.
As part of my trucks rebuild I had to replace the valve, side cover and oil pan gaskets so they were cleaned when off and were not really that bad.

I would have used diesel fuel or kerosene to pour thru the motor.
You could filter it and reuse till happy with the way it came out the drain plug hole.
Motor oil I think would be a little to thick and not flush too good?

When I do my oil changes I add 1 qt of ATF to the oil and start the motor and let it idle as I get my tools together. this way it gets heat in the motor as they say oil should be hot when changed.
I dont feel good on driving it with the ATF in there and why I dont but others have with out issues.

I think doing it this way if there was any "chunks" not that my motor dose, would only be in the pan and not get sucked up into the pick up screen and cause issues.
Being the oil is hot the chunks should flow out when drained.

BTW the other day when I checked the oil I could not see the level on the stick as it was that clean and I got to have at least 2000 miles on the oil.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100