Heater issue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Heater issue

IowaTom
Guys - The slider on my dash is stuck on the hot side.  I followed the cable to the heater box on the passenger side firewall and tried to manually move the rod the cable is connected to, but it 'thunks' against something inside and can't be moved.  I'm afraid the only solution to this is going to be to remove the plastic cover to the core & motor to fix it.  Should I drain the coolant before starting or can I leave the hoses connected to the core and open this up?
I used my truck the other day in near 90º weather and could feel ambient hot air (no fan going) giving me something else to do to the old girl.
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Heater issue

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Is it possible that the cable has slipped in the outside clamp and the door is already almost in the closed position?  I would take the clamp loose and the cable off the door to see if the door can move in its full sweep w/o the cable.

But you can take the inside cover off w/o removing the heater hoses or draining the coolant.  All you are going to do is get to the inside of the heater core.  But you might be able to see or feel what's keeping the door from moving.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I second Gary's test.
Did it work recently? If the door won't move without the cable, maybe something like a dirt dauber's nest inside there
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Thank you, Guys!  I removed the cable from the arm and it swings fine.  So, something is coming in contact with the lever behind the dash and I'm going to have to remove the dash cover and radio to get to it.  Ugh!
Thanks again for the help on where to start!
Reply | Threaded
|

majorfa05
Dumb question, but it moves freely without the cable but won't with the cable connected, wouldn't the issue be with the cable?
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Not a dumb question at all. At this point looks like Tom is left with the lever itself being hung up which could be a connector that fell into it preventing movement OR it could be that the cable is bound up by dust or rust.

Will be interesting to see what it turns out being.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
might even find that small wrench thats been missing since the radio got put in
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
You're not far off, Mat!  I'd made a bracket for the back of the radio to hold it tight.  As soon as I took off the top of the dash and loosened the radio, the heater cable worked beautifully.  I made another bracket and fixed it to a screw hole in the unused, empty central speaker location.

Chalk this up to moronic shade-tree fixes.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
well i guess we all learned something today. silver linings man! silver linings.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that made me think of an old story. years ago i used a regular mechanic . time was at a premium and i made more then. i took my wifes pontiac in for a noise. i explained it to him as " imagine the sound of a 7/16"great neck combination wrench bouncing around on the upper portion of a lower control arm when hitting a bump" well it sounds like that. he just looked and grinned saying that was oddly specific. anyway he was able to fix it , all good!
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by IowaTom
Happy you found the trouble!

Reading at you, this vaguely reminds me of something similar, I had with this heater cable.  Too far in the pat to be clear, but I remember that the trouble came from something else than the cable or the flap.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.