Headers for 460 Carb with a SAS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Headers for 460 Carb with a SAS

Littlebeefy
I have an 84 with a D0VE (C8VE) 460, ZF5 sitting on a D44HP. Lift is probably 6 inches from stock on 37" tires. Got an NP205 and running 1330 up front.

I've been using the Mad Dog fenderwell exit headers and am sick of rubbing them on the drivers side when I hit a bump while turning left. As the springs settle it's been getting worse.

I'm looking for chassis exit headers. In theory, the L and L and the Hedmans would work except for a question around clearance over the front pinion on the D44HP. Anyone know for certain or have pics of them installed?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any shorty headers that will fit?

I heard that shortys for a 78/79 will fit because the gen 3 frame is narrower. Anyone know if that is true?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Headers for 460 Carb with a SAS

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know it isn't the same, but I ran L&L's on Big Blue with the carb'd heads on the 460.  The only issue I had was about 1/4" of clearance to the top of the frame on the driver's side, and the headers would sometimes hit if I let off quickly.

I'd planned to put a piece of 1/4" plate between the engine and the mount to rock the engine CW a bit, but wound up going with the EFI heads and that took new L&L's, which then hit on the passenger's side.  

Anyway, when I had the original L&L's on they cleared the D44HD fine.  But, of course, it had leaf springs up front and no lift, so it was very different than yours.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI