Has anyone here built a bullnose into a welding rig?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Has anyone here built a bullnose into a welding rig?

Turnburn720
It's something that I've been dreaming about for a while, I may start searching for the right truck pretty soon. I'd like to build a crew cab 1 ton, preferably a dually, with a 300 six and a zf5. I know that this isn't typically the way to go as far as a powertrain, but I'm not planning on going on the road, just doing as a cool project and to pick up some side work from farmers or heavy equipment operators. I have some questions.

I really like the way a skirted bed looks, what are some considerations when building one? I'd like to go with steel, I hate working with aluminum.

My little machine right now is only about 400 lbs, but ideally I'd like to mount a period-correct sa200d. Is this too much weight with 400 lbs of tools plus 200 lbs of leads/hoses/bottles? Should I be adding helper springs?

If I go this route, can I get away with 2wd in New England? We occasionally a couple feet of snow where I'm at. Not sure if this much weight with good tires can compensate for it.

What upgrades should I plan for as far as the brakes? I figure on doing rear discs/upgrade the master cylinder. Is there more that I should be looking at?

Boxing the frame? Needed?

Rear end: if I was able to pick up a zf5, would I need to go with a 4.10, or could I get away with something a little more manageable? The 300 already is going to have no top end, I'd like to be at least able to hit 55 mph or so.

Any other tips or advice?

Thanks.
1983 f150 RCLB, carb 4.9, np435 4 speed, 4x4

Connecticut native, bullnose novice
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Has anyone here built a bullnose into a welding rig?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not built a welding rig nor a flatbed, so can't answer any of those questions.  But I can address some of the others.

However, I keep marveling at your "handle" since my trailer was made by Turn & Burn Welding in Claremore.  Interesting as that must be a common term in the welding trade.

On the weight, I don't know what an sa200d weighs, but you've already said the existing equipment would total 1000 lbs and you said your current machine is "little".  So I'm guessing the sa200d is bigger and heavier.  Then, when you add the weight of a welded steel bed you are getting into some weight.  So I'd say that you will need to consider some sort of helper springs.

But if you are looking at an F350 to get the dually setup then I doubt you'll need to box the frame, although others may differ.

On 2wd, I dunno.  I'll let others speak to that.

As for the ZF5 and gearing, you'll get by fine with 3.55 gears.  But 4.10's will probably work better.  If you go to our calculator (Documentation/Driveline/Calculators) and put in 31" tires (my assumption) and look at the ZF5 Wide column you'll see that with the 3.55 gears dialed in you'll be turning ~1900 RPM at 65 MPH.  But then if you dial in 4.10's you see that you'd be turning only 2200 RPM.  So either gearset will work, and you might like the 4.10's with the extra weight.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Turnburn720
I'm no help at all, but this '85 F350 service truck has been for sale up here in Canada for ages, and I figured I'd share it for kicks and ideas. I'd have no use for such a vehicle, but this thing is pretty cool with the PTO welder, PTO compressor, hydraulic crane, etc. It only has about 80k original miles too. Old oil field services truck.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-albert/1985-ford-f-350-service-truck/1552215802

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
For a Canadian work vehicle, looks pretty clean. Or there's a lot of bondo and patchwork hidden.

(I used to go to London, ON a lot for work, I know!)
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
That's a cool truck, Cory.  And $5300 CDN is currently $4217 US.  I'm not sure what it would take to bring it into the US, but it would be a good start at making a work rig.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Not sure if the border's been reopened for non-business travel yet, but aside from that, I think you'd get up there and drive/tow it back. Have to declare it at the border and have all sales paperwork up to snuff (no slop, must be perfect!) and pay any tariffs at the border.

I know of a former coworker who bought a tractor up there and brought it home on a company trip... and I've heard of people importing such.

If using a car hauler company, I don't know... Never dealt with such. A buddy of mine bought a Fiero in NY and had it shipped on one to his shop in MO, but that didn't have the border to mess with. I'm sure it's been done.

The only other "issue" is that the odometer will likely be in KM, not MI, so that might titling interesting... but again, it's been done (probably just converted when filling out the US paperwork?).

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Turnburn720
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Haha yeah it's a pretty common saying in pipefitting, keep turning and keep burning.

The sa200d weighs about 1200 lbs. I'm sure that I'll need to run helper springs the more that I think about it.

The rear end is my main area for questions really. So if I want to go for a 4.10 dually rear end, with a disc brake conversion and helper springs, I wonder what the most cost effective route would be. Should I find a dually with drums on it and then try to convert it, or should I swap the whole axle our for a newer one with discs already on it? Is there any direct fit from later trucks that I can use, or would I have to be getting into fabrication?

Also, I'm curious about frame boxing. I know that it's usually done on old hot rods to deal with the twist from high torque motors, is there actually any benefit to it on old pickup trucks, other than fixing beatup frame rails?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you sure you need discs in the rear. I’m running drums with hydro boost and the brakes are everything I want.

As for frame boxing, there’s not going to be much, if any, twisting back of the cab when you put a steel flatbed on. And with a 300 six you won’t be hitting with serious torque. So I don’t see the need to box it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Turnburn720
Homestly I not sure that I need discs, I've just always been under the impression that the weak spot on bullnose duallys is the brakes, hence the uncommonly low tow rating?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Get the opinions of others on here, but I think Big Blue's brakes are now excellent.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
My brakes weren’t what I thought they should be and heard others say that of their bullnoses.

But found out my front calipers weren’t moving much, if at all. Replaced them and adjusted the rears and cleaned and lubed the auto adjusters. Huge improvement. Stops really good. And I’ve had it loaded and pulled a loaded trailer at the same time with no problems. I didn’t go real fast, but I could tell they were good.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I think theyre a great option for building an affordable work rig.

When I bought my 250, I was lookimg for something with the 300 in it like you are. But Im getting pulled over to the big block dark side. Just factor in gas money when you bid a job.

I can pull off up hills with a load my other trucks bog down on empty.

If you do go 4x4, f250s are cheaper because people dont like the leaf sprung ttb axle, for good reason. But theyre not that bad.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
And let me add, most of the components on my truck are wore out and it keeps going and going.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by swampedout
I agree that an HD F250, not the light duty version, would be a good starting point.  They have the same frame as an F350.  And I agree that a 4WD version isn't the best combo w/the TTB and leaf springs, but they aren't too bad.

But an '86 F350 4x4 would have the solid front axle so you'd have the best of both worlds.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've not built, but I have parted plenty of welding rigs.
A 150 chassis is definitely not up to the job.
I wouldn't want a 250's TTB either. It will never stay in alignment.
In my mind a 460 or diesel is the only way to go

SRW  is fine with what you say you are putting in it, but consider a dozen 50# cans of rods, a compressor so you can run a needle scaler crane/die grinder/whatever, 100+  lbs for a vice on the bumper, etc... and possibly a crane
Maybe an E-rated single is not enough.

I got a whole lot of parts from a F-450 welding rig out of northern New Hampshire.... many of which went to Gary. (And some to Bill)
I think a Hydroboost upgrade is very worthwhile.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Turnburn720
I would be happy with a 460 or the 6.9, they're both great engines, but I'm really in love with my "little" 300. IMO it's the ultimate truck engine; it's simple and cheap to fix, it sounds like a tractor, it's rugged as hell, lots of low end torque and when I drop a socket in the engine bay I always know where it goes. Plus I've never seen a rig with a 300 in it, so it would be kind of unique to build one. All that being said, I'm under no illusion that it's a better engine for this application than the big block or the diesel.

Are you saying you've parted out rigs with compressors on them? Most guys I know only run a machine and use electric tools. It would be pretty nice to have if I'm being honest, but they do take up a lot of space.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I don't think a 250 has enough axle for a welding rig.
And five lug hubs definitely aren't up to the task.
The 450 had 10 lug hubs, rear discs, and a drop beam front axle like a medium duty truck
Yes at least two or three welding trucks I've taken apart have had on board compressors.
Maybe it's just a regional thing, here in the Northeast?
I'm not saying that a 300 doesn't have enough torque, but it's going to be hard getting it out of its own way.
You definitely want the frame thickness of a 350 450 or 550 truck.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Turnburn720 wrote
...but I'm really in love with my "little" 300. IMO it's the ultimate truck engine....and when I drop a socket in the engine bay I always know where it goes.
Haha...ain't that the truth!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Whereabouts in the nutmeg state see you located?
I'm hanging at my brother's in East Haven right now.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Turnburn720
That's a ways downwards from me I'm way up in the NW corner.