HELP! Fuel selector valve wiring

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

HELP! Fuel selector valve wiring

C.Jett
1985 F150 4.9 l. Wiring info for the LMC fuel selector valve needed. No instructions came with the valve.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: HELP! Fuel selector valve wiring

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It think Page 98 of the 85 EVTM is what you need: Documentation/Electrical/EVTM and then Fuel Tank Selector & Gauges (Gas).
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Gary, go to Wild Horse Four Wheel web site, they sell the same valve as lmc. They show a different method with a dpdt toggle switch. I would hope someone on here would have installed one and could point me in right direction to intergrate into present system. Thanks Charles
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
There is only one three port (single line) FSV that was installed in these 150 trucks under 8,500 gvw.   E5TZ-9189-A

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/fuel-tank-selector-valve.html

These solenoid valves have one wire from the SPST dash switch that selects 'front' when powered. (default is rear)
There is also a ground.
All sender switching is done at the SPDT switch in the climate control panel as shown on pg. 98 of the EZTM.

If you bought a Pollak/Standard/Airtex/Wells/Carquest/BWD/NAPA/ACDelco/Whatever/ valve in the aftermarket then you need to find a wiring diagram for that specific aftermarket valve.  (Pollack/SAP make many configurations) we can't really guess what you bought.
I flatly refuse to use the LMC site because of how it's set up so I have no idea what they offer.

Bronco's never came with two tanks so there's no point looking at a wiring diagram from a Bronco website unless it gives a specific model switching valve.

Edit to clarify part # and just how many oddball aftermarket valves there are.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Thanks for putting that together.

Charles - I do hope someone on here has installed one of the valves from LMC because if it isn't the valve Ford supplied then there's no way to how to wire it unless it comes with instructions.  That being the case I've tagged Keith Dickson/FORDification, who is Mr Ford to LMC.  Maybe they normally send the instructions but didn't in your case?

But if LMC supplied the same valve as Wild Horse Four Wheel then can't you use their wiring diagram?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, my aim was to use existing wiring, it seems as all valves are simple shuttle valves. It is spring loaded for off position to open port to rear tank. On position opens port of front tank.  So existing wiring and switch should work.  Power and ground only is supplied to valve, all other wiring supplies power to senders thru switch. So original power and ground should be good?  Thanks Charles
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, there were no instructions, valve appears to be the same as found on other site. I just didn’t want to reinvent the wheel. Power and ground wire should be all I need. (See post to Jim) Many Thanks, Charles
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by C.Jett
Charles, The Ford diagram above is how these trucks left the factory.
It was "good" for millions and millions of Ford trucks at the time.

I trust that LMC are supplying a valve that fits and functions the same as stock.
Replacement parts should be plug 'n play, which is why I pointed out that I wouldn't trust a diagram from a site about Bronco's because they used a single large tank and don't have the same wiring harness as a pickup.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Jim, it’s not a plug and play. It requires new wires and a 1 amp fuse. I’m a “Very Old School Guy”,old vws, I don’t have a handle on the Ford wiring diagram. I need to know where and what color wire is “connect wire to accessory power circuit”, (under the dash) and also what color and location of wire to fuel gauge? 85 F150 4.9 L. I want to connect them as close as possible to switch in dash. DPDT toggle switch. I’m not a purist, just need something that works at a reasonable price. Thanks

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Charles,
I said before i don't know what LMC sells because I refuse to deal with their website.
Gary even invited the head of LMC Ford parts to this conversation.
I certainly have no idea what you purchased.
SMP/Pollak do offer a functionally similar aftermarket valve but it has barbed fittings.

I provided a Ford part number (E5TZ-9189-A) for the valve and a factory wiring diagram complete with circuit numbers and wire colors.

The factory SPST switch at the climate control is fused 10A, as shown above.
The fuel sender wiring doesn't pass through the valve.  Again, as shown above

The rest of the EVTM (diagnostic and testing manual) is available here on the site under Documentation/Electrical/EVTM's/

Sorry I don't have anything more to offer.
Perhaps Dave or David are using some weird tank valves on their 300-6 trucks and can share what they've done?

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, LMC emailed the instructions to me and they are identical to Wild Horses 4x4 as dual tanks were installed in Broncos for a few years.  I decided to use their method and not butcher the existing system. I will unplug from switch and install new wire in socket, run all new wire to tanks. I will let you know how it goes when it quits raining, Thanks for your help. Charles
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Dual tanks were installed in some early '70's Bronco's.
They used a whole different frame/body/interior.

Bullnose Bronco's have the rear window switch where P/U trucks have the tank selector.
Due to the Bronco's shorter wheelbase Ford couldn't fit even the shortbed 16 gallon midship tank.

The SMP FV1T is a cheap ($32 Amazon or Summit) universal valve that uses a single power + ground and wires the same as your truck.
You'd need to snip off  674 Br/W and 57 Bk to replace them with ring terminals where ground would go to one of the mounting screws of the valve.
Be very careful tightening the selector wire to the solenoid because the plastic housing will crack without warning.

Good luck!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Jim, followed your advice and alls well with the new front tank, tore out rear tank and cleaning up to install new rear tank. It will just plug and play now. Fingers crossed. Thanks much. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm glad to hear it's working for you Charles.  

Hope your new rear tank swaps in just as well.
 Jim,