(Normal)
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

HEI distributor setup help needed for '85 F150| 300 straight 6

DarkSaga
My problem vehicle specs are below:

1985 Ford F-150 Lariat XLT |Straight 6 cylinder| 4.9L 300cid | Automatic | 4x4 | Standard cab | Long bed | 1 barrel Carter YFA carb

This is a plow truck that I need to get running (for my own 1/2 mile driveway - not commercial use). {Read my older posts if you need more info on the issues I've been having with the truck}

I can't find any old ford trucks in the junkyards in my area (to get what's needed for a DuraSpark II conversion), so I've opted to try to install a new HEI distributor.

I don't want to spend $400+ on a D.U.I. brand distributor so here's the one I was planning to buy --> "A-Team Performance - HEI Complete Distributor Straight 6 Cylinder 240 and 300 65K Coil -Compatible With Ford F100 F150 F250 E100 E150 One Wire Installation Blue Cap" Link --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WM92CQ/?coliid=I1WABUXRYELZY9&colid=F2A4ICKEQLZE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it 
(It seems to have worked for others that have a truck similar to mine)

***Will the original CARTER YFA carburetor that is in the truck work with this HEI Distributor?

If not, will the HEI work with this other carb that I have? (purchased new a couple years ago --> "KIPA Carburetor for YFA type carter Carb 1 barrel with electric choke Fits Ford 4.9L 300 cu I6" Link --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0811KP43M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just need the correct parts to get this truck to run. If you've done a conversion on a similar year F150 with the feedback carb, maybe you can chime in and help me as I'm desperate to get the truck running for winter.

Even better if you've done this conversion, post a shopping list of the parts I need and then I can buy them knowing it should work for me.

Any helpful comments from those of you familiar with doing this conversion would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

-jim-
'DarkDaga'

1985 Ford F-150 Lariat XLT |Straight 6 cylinder| 4.9L 300cid | Automatic | 4x4 | Standard cab | Long bed | 1 barrel Carter YFA carb
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: HEI distributor setup help needed for '85 F150| 300 straight 6

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - There are probably two things that the computer controls on your truck that you are trying to eliminate - the ignition and the carburetion.  On the latter, others know a lot more about it than I do, but my limited understanding is that a computer-controlled YFA works ok w/o the computer.  But the carb you bought doesn't appear to have any connections for a computer, so might be even better.

On the ignition, the HEI conversion should do the trick.  To explain how to wire it I refer you to our page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and then the Ignition Simplification tab followed by the One Wire tab.  There you'll find schematics for how to wire it as well as a discussion thereof.

Hope that helps.  But I'm hoping others chime in, especially regarding the carb.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by DarkSaga
The link for your distributor is broken but by using the description it hit on A-Team's website. https://swperformanceparts.com/product/hei028bl-1/

I went back and read the thread where you posted compression numbers, said the stock YFA was spitting vapor, got the truck back from your mechanic (still not running reliably)

Fuel vapor coming out the carb sounds like the valve timing is off, but that is not common with the 300's gear driven cam.

Yes, that distributor (if the same as the one I found) should be full replacement for the problematic TFT feedback system.

You will need to find a source of vacuum for the distributor advance unit.
There should be plenty of capped fittings if the PO removed things like the EEC or EGR.
Given you have an automatic, It would be best if it was a "timed vacuum" source just above the throttle plate of your carburetor.
I don't know about the feedback YFA's, but if you bought the Chinese knockoff new you should have a manual showing which port is which.

Where in New York are you?
You might have a look at our members map to see if there is someone nearby?

Edit: I see you're in New Hampton.
We have a member Nick Longo in Maybrook

I used to have a girlfriend from Wallkill 40 years ago, and I would go launch rockets at a sod farm near you in the late '90's-early aughts (Goshen or Florida or something...)
I'm down in Philly now, unfortunately.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

DarkSaga
Thanks for the replies Gary and Jim!

Gary, I'll make sure to closely refer to the Ignition Simplification / One Wire tabs for this HEI conversion... it's very much appreciated that you have them available! Hopefully either the original Carter YFA carb or the Kipa carb will work well with the HEI distributor.

Jim, sorry I messed up the link to the HEI. I think this is correct now --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WM92CQ/?coliid=I1WABUXRYELZY9&colid=F2A4ICKEQLZE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it I believe the one you located at the A-Team website is the same one.

I'll have to dig out the (knockoff) Kipa carb and find a vacuum port at the base to use for the "timed vacuum". I'm pretty certain though there was no documentation with it.

*I was in contact with Nick and we planned to meet but I haven't been able to get a hold of him recently. Maybe he's super busy or hasn't gotten my messages. I'll have to try him again.

I'm basically right next to Goshen, NY.
Very cool that you are familiar with the area!

Thanks again to you guys for your insight!

*The spark plug wires in the truck now are very new but are standard wires... do I need to upgrade the wires for this HEI distributor?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The HEI puts out a hot spark, but standard plug wires should be fine.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

DarkSaga
Good to know. Thanks Gary!
Reply | Threaded
|

DarkSaga
I purchased the A-Team Performance HEI distributor (mentioned above) and have some questions that maybe you guys can help with.

BTW, I also purchased a FUSE HOLDER and RELAY (the same as those used by 'tanman' in his thread titled "86 F150 straight six TFI to HEI"... I'm following the general guidelines he put forth).

*What AMPERAGE would you recommend the fuse be in this system to protect the HEI distributor? 20A? 30A?

**I haven't gotten into the engine bay yet to check the wiring (and clean off the wires), but Gary mentioned to 'tanman' about powering the relay --> (Gary's quote) "I think I'd use the White/Light Blue wire that powered the TFI module & coil to pull in the relay.
I should do the same right? Use the WHITE/LIGHT BLUE WIRE (I'm assuming that the wires in my '85 ford are the same color running to my TFI module & coil as his '86 ford).

***I don't remember the gap setting for the spark plugs that are currently in my 85 f150 truck, but in passing I have read one or two comments that the spark plugs should all be re-gapped to around 0.045-0.05 for this HEI distributor. Any thoughts on that? I figured I'd try the spark plugs as they are currently and if there's any issues then re-gap and see if they're any better.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think a 20A fuse would be adequate, but let's see what other say.

And the white/light blue wire should work fine to pull in the relay.

But I don't know about the plug gap.  The HEI is a hot system so maybe more gap?  I'll tag Bill as he will probably know.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In looking at this thread from Yellow Bullet, it seems like 30A is a better choice (if an HEI can really spike to "more than 25A")
Fuses are not a fusible link, and don't handle transient spikes like a link will.

I do understand that the HEI module will automatically increase dwell with a feeble circuit, and that because of how it's wired can never go beyond 45°.

DSII plug gap is .044" (.042-.046)
I've always gapped Chevy's with HEI at 050"
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point, Jim.  Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm the first to say that I don't know.
 And I DO know that I shouldn't believe everything that I read on the internet.

When someone on an enthusiast forum posts solid numbers and no one corrects them with references  I will accept it.
Especially when it fits with the instructions I've read on other similar units.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We've stressed that the HEI module likes a lot of current to charge the coil and that it needs at least #12 wiring from the battery.  That wire is good for 30 amps, so why not fuse it at that?

Reply | Threaded
|

DarkSaga
Thanks Gary and Jim for all the excellent comments and advice!

I'll go with a 30A fuse to protect the HEI distributor and will check that the spark plugs are gapped to 0.05".

I hope to be able to work on the truck this week as the weather is expected to be nice and warm in my area (unfortunately I have to work outdoors on my vehicles!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you have a good plan, and hope things go well for you.  

Reply | Threaded
|

DarkSaga
Hi guys, I could use your expertise again.

I've installed the HEI distributor and I'm doing the wiring. I'm setting it up just like 'tanman' did in this photo --> https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n104208/a_better_schematic.png

I need to connect the WHITE wire (PIN86) from the RELAY to the truck. It is my understanding that it should go to the coil. I am attaching a photo with an arrow pointing to the wire I think is the correct (It  might be WHITE w/ LT BLUE) Coil wire

...Is this the correct wire?
(It has blue dashes on it, but the main color of the wire is questionable. It might have been white at one time). Do I tap into that wire and connect it to the WHITE wire of the relay (PIN86)?

Any help would be awesome. THANK YOU!
(I have other photos if needed)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
White/Lt Bl should be coil power for a 4.9 EEC-IV system as shown in the EVTM.

Convention for a 'Bosch' style cube relay is: 85 = trigger, 86 = ground, but it really doesn't matter which way power flows through the pull-in coil as long as the relay isn't diode protected.

Using the coil power wire assures that the relay is pulled in in both start and run.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, Jim/Ardwrkntrk is right.  You are on the right track.

Reply | Threaded
|

DarkSaga
Thank you Jim and Gary for the responses!

I will tap into that wire and attach it to the relay (White wire PIN86). I'm not very good with schematics and wiring diagrams.

I have the plugs all gapped now to 0.05, the 30A fuse is in place (between the relay and the battery +12V), the timing mark on the engine is at 0 (TDC) mark, the HEI rotor is pointed toward where the #1 spark plug is (may need some tweaking) and is pointing in the same direction as it was on the old distributor, the base of the HEI distributor is lightly snugged down so it can be twisted to adjust timing (before fully tightening down), I have the plugs wired to the firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4, the relay is mounted and PIN85 (black wire) is grounded to a fresh metal spot on the driver side fender, the battery is being topped off with a trickle charger, the gas in the tank is relatively fresh and has STA-BIL in it (though I will add more fresh gas to it if it starts).

Lastly I have to finalize the positive connection between the HEI and PIN 87 (Blue wire) of the Relay.
Also need to hook up the vacuum line (but probably with attempt a start without it) and later adjust the vacuum advance.

The truck mechanic that worked on it did some modifications (added an electronic fuel pump along the frame rail behind the driver), and did some wiring at the carb so I'll need to check those things over.

I may just put the non-original newer KIPA carb on and see if it starts and runs with that in place.
Anyway fingers crossed that it starts and runs (though I'm never lucky enough to have things work the 1st attempt).

Thanks again for your help!
Reply | Threaded
|

DarkSaga
Well I wired up the new HEI system, turned the key to give it a try at starting and no luck yet.  I'm waiting for a family member to return so they can turn the key while I check things. I'll listen to hear if the relay clicks when the key is turned. Also I have an inline spark tester that I will use to see if the plugs are sparking so that I know the HEI distributor is working.

The mechanic that worked on the truck last year added an inline electric fuel pump. When the key is in the ON position I hear it humming constantly... so I'm thinking it's working properly. The truck also has a mechanical pump installed, so hopefully this redundancy won't cause any issues and the carb will get the proper fuel pressure (not checked yet).

I'll check back later and let you know if I'm getting spark.

If you guys have any suggestions as to what to try to test (and tips as to how to test them) please feel free. I have to determine what is working and what is not and can use all the help I can get. THANKS!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think an electric fuel pump feeding a mechanical one is a good idea, personally.

But as long as your carb is getting fuel (and not too much) I would look for other causes first.
Definitely determine that the relay clicks and you have power at 87 when it does.
Then check for spark. (do you have a timing light to adjust your new HEI?)

A 300-6 will run with crap compression, so fuel then spark (at the right time)
 Jim,