classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greetings from Chicago-land

Bronco638
Hi All,
I just acquired a 1980 F-150 Flare Side. It's originally from Arizona and has just a little rot in the cab corners. Otherwise just some surface rust and faded paint (O.E. color was a dark red, with beige/sand interior). The drivetrain was a 351M & C6. The 351 was bad and removed before I bought the truck. I have the C6 (you'd never know it though, it's so caked with muck from engine and transmission leaks - it's either going to be used as a core or headed to the local wrecking yard). I plan to go with a 302 and AOD. The truck is 2WD and I have not determined the axle ratio (but I'm betting it's pretty high, for fuel economy). It's not a Custom because it has a tach in the dash. But, I'm still not sure exactly which sub-model it is. I have not yet decided if it's going to be re-painted or if I'll just seal the paint to retain the patina. The truck is currently in storage until the end of April. It's far enough away that I'm unable to easily check the condition of various parts & assemblies or numbers, etc.

I come from a Ford background starting with early Mustangs (incl. GT-350s) and this is my third F-Series Ford ('89 & '95 also). I'm on my 9th Ranger (currently an '11). This project will be more of a refurbishment as opposed to a restoration. The Bullnose will be my daily driver but now that my job is 100% remote and I can ride my bicycle to the office (if I decide to go there), the truck won't see that much use, on a daily basis (for instance, the Ranger sat in the garage from June until December).

I'm looking forward to getting started on this when the weather gets warm(er). I'm located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago; Elk Grove Village. If anyone is close, I might need some help when it's time to put in the engine/transmission. Thanks!

Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greetings from Chicago-land

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can see who's near you (members map in the drop-down at the top left of the page)

Sounds like a fun project, starting with a solid truck!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Bronco638
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined, Dave.  

As for the map, I've added you to it, and hope that is ok.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
Totally cool Gary, thanks!
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We were almost neighbors many years ago as we used to live in Elgin.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArnoldAW
In reply to this post by Bronco638
I'm pretty sure I saw this truck on FB, but it had sold by the time I got around to messaging.

Looks good! Do you have a 302 for it already? I just pulled one out of my 81, it's locked, and has 4 rusty cylinders, but would likely be a good core. I'm about 35 minutes from you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
This truck was on FB Marketplace. I think the previous owner was a little dismayed but the amount of ridiculous offers he received because his wife has their FB account. He thinks that everyone was "doing her a favor" by making a minimal offer to some woman who was recently divorced or widowed.

He's been very nice and forthcoming with information. In fact, he's offered up a lot of info on local machine shops and body shops. As the crow flies, he's less than 10 miles from me. I'm going to go get some more stuff from him (AOD, motor mounts, truck oil pan, etc.) next weekend.

I am supposed to be getting a bunch of 302 engine stuff from an acquaintance, in Green Bay. He is supposed to be in Chicago-land within the next month or so. TBH, I don't know exactly what he's bringing but he's letting it go for cheap (or so he says). So, let me see what I get and I'll let you know if I need anything, engine-wise.
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

ArnoldAW
Sounds good! Definitely let me know what you're in need of. The only thing I'm using off the 302 is the exhaust manifolds. Everything else is up for grabs. Only thing I'm looking for is a truck 4speed and bellhousing, 2x4. Willing to trade whatever.