Greetings From Saskatchewan!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greetings From Saskatchewan!

Tcyrenne
Hey there, I just purchased an '84 F150 XLT. there are a few things to replace/repair that I would love to get some insight on where I might find some links that show how to R&R the steering: Issue 1 -> Steering column - the previous owner smashed out the ignition, so it now starts via a toggle switch.. not a big deal to me however. The OEM electrical switch is switched "on and off" by pushing a lever on the steering column, once 'On' then I flip the toggle switch to crank the engine, once started flip back the toggle switch. Q: how much of the steering column do I remove so that I can swap in another OEM steering column? Can I disconnect the steering column somewhere on the cab side rather than swapping the entire column? In any case, I am looking forward to getting the truck set up for me! Cheers
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greetings From Saskatchewan!

FuzzFace2
Welcome to the Bullnose forum.

It will be asked - we have a members map would you like to be added to it so you and others can see who is close by. If so just need the city / town or think zip code.

As for the column you can swap out like for like. If you have speed control then the replacement should have speed control as well. Same for auto transmission.

I dont think it's that hard to swap it out.
Under the hood you have the rage joint (rubber disc thing) at the box you need to undo.
Shift linkage if auto needs to be disconnected.

Inside truck there is a metal plate around column bolted to the floor that needs to be undone.
I dont remember what up at the gauge bezel that needs to be removed but I know there is something.
4 bolts I think it is holding the column to the bottom of the dash and drop the wheel onto the seat.
There should be 2 plugs each with a bunch of wires, turn signal wires and the IGN switch, undo them.

I believe the column should then be able to be removed by pulling it into the cab and then out.
If I left something out I am sure someone will say something.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

Dave/Fuzzface2 is right - we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city or postal code.

And he's right about the column.  While there are several bolts on the firewall and two bolts holding it to the dash you do have some things to take off under the hood.  Start a thread in the main section and we can walk you through it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Tcyrenne
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Im also in the process of changing and restoring a column. Glad to help if i can. What drivetrain is it and is it a tilt column? Those two answers will tell us much