Greetings, 1982 F100 owner

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greetings, 1982 F100 owner

Djtorello
Hello, Im Dave from North Carolina, previously New York. I have a 1982 Ford F100 with the 4.9l Straight 6.  I think its the c6 transmission, but im still learning about it.

The truck has had 7 previous owners, and it was an old farm truck, which sat in a field for some untold amount of years.  Some fresh fuel, a hose, and a mechanical fuel pump, cap/rotor and drove (barely) out of the field, on dry rotted, wasp filled tires.  

It has seen better days for sure.  It needs a new bench seat, has some minor body rot on the passenger side  lower door section, and a small spot on the driver side rear quarter near the bumper.   It lacks anything associated as a clear coat, and the hood is peeling.  The windshield leaked, which is currently silicone slathered till i can afford a replacement.  

The brakes/lines, steering, suspension and fuel systems are currently in the process of being fixed/updated as best as i can.  And when i get home, I'll add pictures to go with this post.  

Downside, as if anything above wasn't a downside already, due to several prior owners, many systems and equipment  is rigged or changed, all willy nillie, and I'm struggling to figure some of it out.  So i will be asking a lot of questions in the coming weeks and months.  

Thank you for your time.
1982 Ford F100, 4.9L (300ci) L6, C6.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greetings, 1982 F100 owner

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Dave!  Glad you joined.  

Where in North Carolina?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city or zip.

Sounds like you have a lot of peeling to do.  (I liken these trucks to onions.  You peel and cry, peel and cry, but pretty soon you have enough to have a Bloomin' Onion.  )
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
glad to have another interested. is this a whim, hobby or a need? that may dictate the direction you take and the results you get.  some here are purists and some just want to get where they need to go with junk in the bed. haha.  all welcome.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Mooresville NC 28115, and thank you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Well, its my fathers dream to bring it back.  So this truck was in the woods on his property.  He loves his Ford's, specifically Model A's, but this is as close as he can get to  a Ford classic to work on and enjoy.  So Im trying to update it, in the end goal of making it safe for him to drive, and to be reliable.   My dad is 80 years old, and a carpenter by trade, though now finally retired.  It's great to see the light in his eyes, as we work on the truck together.

I've heard from his neighbors, he would turn the truck on, just to sit there and listen to the radio.  So the 1st things i took car of, was getting the mold out of the cabin, fixing the antenna, installed new speakers,  door panels, and a seat cover, so he can enjoy it.  I still need to fix the cracked dash as well, and need to find some interior dye or paint to bring the color back to the original maroon color.  
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
you are doing god's work!  Mooresville is close to where I am rebuilding mine over in Rockwell. I split my time between my home shop in TN and my brothers shop in NC. just drove home yesterday. headed back in a couple weeks. get some pics up with what you do and glad to answer questions if I can.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Djtorello
You are doing a wonderful thing!  That story REALLY speaks to me.  I'm 74 so can appreciate your father's love of his truck.

And, you are now on the map.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sharkbite
Welcome and good luck with it!
I am right down the road from you in Huntersville.
I am working on an 83 for my son
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Hello, Im Dave from North Carolina, previously Conn.
I am up near Raleigh just a few hours from you.

It is nice you are doing this for your dad.
My dad is no longer with us and I wish he could see what I did on the rebuild (cab off frame) of my truck as he thought me all I know to do the body work & paint.

We are here to help you the best we can to get your project on the road be it where to get parts to how to do something.

For paint / dye for the inside get SEM products. Before painting wash the part with soap & water 3 times before doing anything to it. SEM makes a spray that helps the paint stick to the part, get it and use it.
On the dash pad they make a topper that fits pretty good and you really need to look close to see if it is a topper or a new pad. New pads are like $500 so the topper is the way to go.

Welcome to the forum and lets see some pictures
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
Hello, mister grant.  I have a pretty good idea who you are.  I think you are from Connecticut, to Long Island, to Florida, to North Carolina.  If i got the right David right.  I already have the coverlay, in black, and im thinking going with the maroon and black on the interior, as i have already installed black armrests, and black visors.  

As SEM is a good suggestion, my job carries their products, i just gonna have to find a matching color code.  Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
In reply to this post by Sharkbite
Thank You.  Awesome, i hope you son enjoys it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The SEM color codes are here: Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint.  But as you'll see, no one carries the correct colors.  The paint has to be mixed.  I don't know if your company does that, but if not I recommend Vinyl Pro, and the link to their site is on that page.

Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Here is the start of the pictures, as i don't know how many i can post at a time.    I'll start with the bad parts.  You will see many of the wasp nests, screwy wiring, rotted brake hoses and brake lines, crumbling bushings, mold/dust/dirt especially in the dash board.   You will also see some photo's with the samsung watermark, and some without, I had changed phones at some point in the past year.  If you see some goofy looking kid, that's my nephew.  Btw, this is after power washing the truck, and putting Ford Explorer wheels on it, with new tires, as there was almost nothing left of the old wheels and tires. Also kinda hoping someone will "steal/borrow" the cat, as it will be one less thing i need to do.

Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
Yes, a prior owner did screw the door panels into the door. Sad, i know.

Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
Now here are some of the good stuff.  Rebuilt engine, new master cylinder, new brake booster,  stainless steel brake lines, brake hoses, side markers, tail lamps, coverlay dash cover, door panels, speakers, visors, antenna, temporary bench cover, midship fuel tank, power steering cooler hose, speedometer cable, throttle cable.  There is also LED cluster lamps, however i must have missed a blue cover, because part of the speedo is still blue, instead of white.

Yes i have the wrong power steering hose, and will mount the cooler section better at a later date.  Yes there is a vent filter thing at the end of the hose for the rear diff, nephew wanted to do it.  And since the weather is typical winter, i have a pile of parts waiting to be installed, which includes poly body mounts, inner and outer tie rods, pitman arm, front shocks, the other power steering hose, the radius arm bushings,  other axle bushings, and the radiator mount brackets from bronco graveyard.

I also have the weatherstripping, though i have yet to figure out what stripping goes where, or even how to change it.  I think i have a pretty good idea on how to change the vent window seals, but i have no clue on how to change the rear split window seal.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
great pictures. love the truck! yes it needs much but not too much for him to be able to drive it or even just ride in it safely. short bed f100. what's not to like?  you should be able to have this be a reliable vehicle in short order. start with brakes!
Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
I hope you don't mind if i pick your brain a bit.  This truck as 2 color codes on the vin sticker,  2k and 2l.  I'm assuming 2k is the candy red exterior color, then 2L must be the interior Maroon/Dark Red color?

But the 2L is not listed on that specification chart in 1982.  The Ford color code would actually be M5682 or M5682A.  While the 2K would be code m5681.  

My day job, we custom mix automotive paints from 1/2 pint to 1 gallon, and aerosol cans as well, in Matrix, Valspar, Prime,  Genverde, Lucid, Lessonal, and Sikkens.  However, no interior paints.  So i don't know how the interior paints are formulated.    I just know how to look up the information off the vin tag, and mix by the brand and formula.  Now paint is not my specialty. So i could be very wrong on that 2L code.  The exterior doesn't appear to be two tone, so again, i'm not sure.    My day job is automotive wholesale, but of modern vehicles, say 1998ish to 2021.  We do have some older vehicle parts, but few and far between.

Just in case it comes up, my night job is a composite engineer.  I design and build everything from small trim pieces, too entire car bodies, too prosthetics, too furniture out of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and other frp's.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  You've done a lot of peeling, but have plenty more to do.

However, I think you misunderstand the certification label.  There are two different places on the certification label that indicate colors.  The first, shown below as "Exterior Paint Colors 2K" is for the exterior colors only.  So yours shows 2K and 2L, which is Candy Apple Red and Maroon, in that order.   Both are exterior colors.  But I'll bet it was 2L and 2K, in that order, as the first one is the primary and the second the accent.  So the base color would be Maroon and then the top of the cab would have been Candy Apple Red.

But interior colors are designated by "Body", and in the example that is AB4.  Go to Documentation/Specifications/Body Codes to decipher that.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello

There is definitely a lot of things i need to check on.