Going to be selling my 1984 F-150 Styleside

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Going to be selling my 1984 F-150 Styleside

JG2020
I might put it on e-bay but thought I would post it here first since everyone here has been so nice and helpful.

I am not sure on asking price yet. Just want a fair deal and someone interested in taking it to the next level. Any feedback on the value appreciated.

I drive it weekly mostly for fun or to help someone move something.

Needs things here and there and I have a bunch of new parts I never got around to doing included in the sale.

Tires are also new with about 500 miles on them. They were $650

I put about 4k on it since I bought it in 2020.  The P.O. did this work:

1984 Ford F-150. 4.9 inline six engine. 4 speed manual transmission. 2 wheel drive. The odometer says
22,000 but it is just 5 digits. This truck has many new parts. Some of these include new battery,
alternator, starter, clutch kit, flywheel, clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, new brakes front and
back, master cylinder, all new exhaust system from from front to back, new gas tank, heater core, new
plugs and wires distributor cap and ignition coil, new water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, and hoses, new
carburetor.

I have since done other work to it also. I am in the Princeton NJ area.  I will get some more pics and more info on the work I did and issues posted later but wanted to get some feelers out.

This pic is from when I first got it. Some of the pinstripes came off in the car wash and the bed has some rust through on the back drivers side.

Thanks!
Josh

Josh G
1984 F-150 Inline-Six 300
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Going to be selling my 1984 F-150 Styleside

1986F150Six
Administrator
Looks like it has good bones!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JG2020
That's a nice looking truck.  But it is hard for me to suggest a price as I don't know much about the condition.  However, Hagerty's valuation for 1984 F150's with the 300 six is shown below.  And the condition definitions they use are:

1. Concours
#1 vehicles are the best in the world. Imagine the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted.

2. Excellent
#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They might even be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws but will be able to find some. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. The vehicle drives as a new vehicle of its era would.

3. Good
#3 vehicles drive and run well but are not used for daily transportation. The casual passerby will not find any visual flaws, but these vehicles might have some incorrect parts. #3 vehicles could possess some, but not all, of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as fresh paint or a new, correct interior.

4. Fair
#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting, the windshield might be chipped and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Imperfect paintwork, split seams or a cracked dash might be present. No major parts are missing, but there might be non-stock additions. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
You are always most helpful, Gary!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Happy to help.  We are FAMILY! 

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks everyone! Def could be a daily driver work truck. The truck is between a #3 and #4
Mechanically in better condition than cosmetically.

I would be happy to get $5500 for it and see it go to a good home.

I need to sell it but every time I drive it I think "no way I am selling this! "

I have been busy with work but I will get more pics and details up here soon.

Happy Friday!
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Not intending any disrespect... but at least if you go by Haggerty's definitions, anything that's a daily driver can only be a #4 and no higher. Then again, they see vehicles as collector's items and investments, not as tools or toys... which becomes an issue with their insurance policies that "limit" vehicles to effectively seldom driven show vehicles.

That said, I'm also guilty of putting cosmetic work into a daily driver grade bullnose... mainly the interior.

I will say this: a vehicle isn't overpriced if somebody actually buys it. I will also say I'm a cheapskate so don't ask me to value anything as I'll probably call it too low!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
True ! Def a 4 then. It’s nice , I did some work on the inside but it is for sure a daily driver type truck. Needs some tlc here and there but runs good. If I had time to install the parts I bought for it I would do that and then sell it.

Thanks!
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Welp, I still have my truck ha ha. Every time I take it for a drive I think " I can't sell this truck"

I am going to attempt to drive it to my house where I have a garage it can stay in and I can work on it in a better environment than outdoors in the winter. It's about a 300 mile trip.

My front end wanders a bit over bumps and my tie rod end bushings look a little beat.

I got a quote from a local garage for the tie rod ends and alignment. $600??? Seems like a lot.

Might just drive it as is. I can post some pics later to see if anyone has a more educated opinion.

Hope everyone is doing well out there!

Josh

Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Hi everyone,

I have to move and will not have parking or a place to finish up the work I want to do on this truck.
Time to let it go.

I am going to list it locally for $4000 but if someone on the group wants it I will drop that to $3750

Unfortunately there is rust on the back left corner of the bed and right side of the same wheel well.

I will get a bunch of pics posted and what I know to be wrong that needs repair and a list of the parts I have to complete what I wanted to do. The parts are all going with it as well as a couple of manuals I have.

It's a 1984 6 cylinder styleside , 2wd, no a/c. Lots of work done I will list later also. I am in NJ about 30 mins from Princeton and on the PA border just for reference.

Thanks!
Josh
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Adding a link to photos here. More to come.

Thx

https://www.flickr.com/gp/187337079@N08/58S4b35541
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Decent looking truck.  It should sell for what you are asking.  

Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks Gary! Sad to let it go but I will find another someday when I have a garage. Always working on it in the street is not the best.

I will get some more pics of the underneath and engine compartment later today.
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Added some more photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/187337079@N08/58S4b35541

Josh G