Gifted a project vehicle in OK condition by a buddy, after someone tried to STEAL her.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
47 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gifted a project vehicle in OK condition by a buddy, after someone tried to STEAL her.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nice truck!

You've just discovered one of the problems with this, and many other, forums - they don't have the smarts to read the metadata that most cameras encode in the picture file that tells the camera's orientation when the shot was taken.  The way around it is to open the pic in a picture editing package, which usually reads the metadata, and then properly orients the pic.  Then save it again.  That usually fixes the problem.

If not, you can open the pic and rotate it manually and then save it.  

On the steering column, maybe you can get things working properly and then decide how to replace that broken part.  One of the issues is that the columns without a shift lever are hard to find.  In fact we just had another member resort to patching his because he couldn't find the replacement part.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gifted a project vehicle in OK condition by a buddy, after someone tried to STEAL her.

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Fred1090
Hi Fred!

That's actually a really good looking truck.  

Yes you were right on the part number.
But why do you need a new cylinder? It looks intact.

The underside of your bed looks great!
I'm always so envious of southern trucks, coming from salt country.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred1090
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I'll be more careful of how I have the phone oriented when I take the pictures from now on, seems easier than having to edit them lol.

As far as working, signals work (with flashers off, the switch for that IS there, that was me overlooking it), as does the pull out tab for the warning/emergency flashers. a few of the lights on the dash are dead but I am thinking it's worth getting the column fixed, or swapping one, junkyard hunting if I have to.

she goes into gear well enough that I'm going to just go with swapping the clutch and see where I stand on that along with the radiator and all fluids next weekend.  

the worst spots are the back of the bed and the 3 small holes on the body. I don't think the body work is going to be very expensive if I do go that far. I already found a matching (style not color) bed for only $500 rust free and in really good shape.

Ard, I want a new cylinder because I don't have the key for that one, and there's some small piece of metal jammed in the thing now (as I got it) that will let me fire the truck right up with a little fiddling and a lot of force. Also, don't have the door keys either so I need to get all of the locks swapped ASAP. Where did you you get that deal of all 3 for $15 or so? or was that Gary?
81 Ford F100, 4.9L Inline 6, 2WD, 3 speed floor shift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, sometimes it is easier to orient the phone "properly" than to edit the pic for orientation.  

You should be able to find a column at a salvage eventually.  But the floor-shift ones aren't plentiful.  However, you can use a column-shift unit and it'll work.  In fact, you can take the shift lever off and fill the hole and make it look very good.  I think Pete of Pete's Ponies did that recently.

As for the cylinder, I think that was Jim/ArdWrknTrk.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Fred1090 wrote
Ard, I want a new cylinder because I don't have the key for that one, and there's some small piece of metal jammed in the thing now (as I got it) that will let me fire the truck right up with a little fiddling and a lot of force. Also, don't have the door keys either so I need to get all of the locks swapped ASAP. Where did you you get that deal of all 3 for $15 or so?
Fred,

It's Jim.
I purchased a Standard Motor Products DL-3 door lock set from Amazon  on  12/05/16 for $15.69, Prime, delivered.  It's now $18.88
I wanted the same key for door and ignition.

In your photo you can see where they were trying to pry on the switch actuator through the hole in the column.
It might not be just the cylinder hanging up, but I do hope so.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred1090
Jim, I think they thought that was the actuator, the actuator that starts the truck is exposed but it is on the top of the column on mine, not the side. I tested by just pushing the rod at the top with that collar spun about 90* and she fires right up. the hole/rod that is visible in the picture doesn't seem to move at all?

Maybe he was prying on the wrong spot and that's the bit of fortune that landed the truck with me and not in a chop shop? I'll know more in a couple days when that order from Amazon shows. thanks for the info!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Glad I had something useful to contribute!  

Yes, I understand it is at the top.(I've replaced a few)

Sorry I questioned your familiarity with the insides of the column at first.
Seems like you know your way around in there.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Doh!!!

I checked my shopping history for the number I knew, but failed to check that was all I bought.

Going back chronologically I see that the ignition cylinder was the same purchase but separate!  

(another $7)
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-US70LT-Ignition/dp/B004BTOEGC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J5VP6M56KYCNYA8M96VB

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Fred1090 wrote
Rembrandt,

A rust check is on the list she is in good shape mostly with just a few rest spots on the body and it's bad in the bed. she was parked outside and downhill. but I am in Atlanta GA so the humidity is never not high.

As far as the exact transmission, not sure. is there a way I can find that by VIN or do I need to go look under the truck for a plate with info?
There should be a certification label on the cab close to the door striker on the driver's side. That will have the VIN and other details showing what the truck was equipped with originally.

Or a picture of the shifter stick and/or the shifter knob, and we can tell what transmission it is. The floor shift trucks were all 4spds...that came in a few different configurations...with a very low first and a 1:1 4th, OR with an overdrive, etc.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The certification label on the door post will look like the one shown here, and decoding instructions are included: Specifications/Certification Label.

Reply | Threaded
|

Fred1090
Jim, learning thanks to you guys. Figured that out after someone said good thing they didn't know what they were doing and I started playing with it.

As far as the keys, I got it figured out last night with Amazon "frequently bought together" suggestions lol thanks though! You got me to the right place!

Gary, Thinking I have a swapped trans? This is a 3 speed for sure the shift pattern matches the knob.

Reply | Threaded
|

Fred1090
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sorry for my oversight Fred.  

I looked at DL3,  and thought...

Well, I'm glad I didn't steer you down the wrong path.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred1090
Jim no worries at all glad for all the help!

As far as the transmission code, it appears 3 speed is factory for me. Although I wish it had a 4!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Fred1090 wrote
As far as the transmission code, it appears 3 speed is factory for me. Although I wish it had a 4!
Yes sir, your truck is a factory 3spd model. It was a 3-on-the-tree column shift and somebody converted it to a floor shifter at some point in it's life.

Factory 195/75/15 tires too...tiny...and a 2.47 rear diff, and manual brakes, yes? This thing would have needed a 2.47 rear diff with 195 tires or it would have been a screamer on the highway.

Reply | Threaded
|

Fred1090
ha, cool to know someone else was already modifying it. Where in the code does it show shift type? I missed that in the breakdown or didn't go far enough.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
If you look along the bottom of your certification label pictured above, you will see that there is a "C" under "Trans". This tells us that the truck originally had a column shift 3spd (three-on-the-tree). This was the only way the 3spd came, but the column shifters got sloppy when they wore, and parts have been obsolete for them since the 90's. It used to be a somewhat common mod to buy an aftermarket floor shifter conversion (Hurst made them, and I forget which others...there were a couple of them).

Under axle you see the "174"...I hadn't come across a 3 digit axle code before, but if I'm reading Gary's supplied charts correctly, the 17 indicates a 2.47 open rear diff, and the 4 after it indicates "Power Brake Delete". Interesting stuff.

I'm guessing this truck was a bare bones stripper with little to no options....maybe a radio, but not much else.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - I'm with you on the 17 being a 2.47 ratio.  And while I am sure you are right, I don't see the bit about 4.  Where is that?  I put it somewhere, but where?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
Cory - I'm with you on the 17 being a 2.47 ratio.  And while I am sure you are right, I don't see the bit about 4.  Where is that?  I put it somewhere, but where?
Gary, it's up closer to the top on the axle ratios page...but it says it refers to the front axle? I know 2 and 3 are front axle, but this being a 2wd truck...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
THANK YOU!  I knew it sounded familiar, but looked right over it.