Getting no electrical on Sniper set up

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Getting no electrical on Sniper set up

FrazerJames
Just to set the scene: I’ve been working on the Bronco nightly this last couple weeks to finish up the install of the Sniper EFI. Keep in mind I’ve also added a new intake, EFI exhaust and upgraded to the 3G alternator during this project. I finally finished my last bit of wiring today... Go to set up the Sniper and absolutely nothing. As in nothing happens at all when I do anything with the key. No accessory power, no power on run, no switch clicks. It’s just nothing.

So now I’m on trouble shooting. The battery is full charge and I have everything connected to it on correct polarities. The only adjustments I’ve made to the original wiring system is the alternator install and tying into the ignition power line as a switch for the EFI power.

My first assumption was the EFI power up, but I believe I’d still have accessory power on that correct? The alternator on the other hand seems like a more likely culprit considering it directly affects the power supply.

Looking for any other suggestions. Otherwise, I’m going to revisit my alternator wiring.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Current Name: Whitney
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Getting no electrical on Sniper set up

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just a guess, but maybe you put the fuse links on the wrong side of the starter relay?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
No, all the wiring us original on the starter relay. But if the power to coil is messed up in some way (I tapped into that as a switch for the EFI), will that affect everything else? Does that potentially trigger the starter relay?
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FrazerJames
The alternator shouldn't effect anything connected to the ignition switch.
If the battery and yellow cab power wire are both on the hot post of the starter relay the 3G is not going to change that.

You need to see that power is constant to the ignition switch, and that (key on) power is getting to the keyed side of the fuse panel.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
I’m thinking I need to look at where I tapped into keyed power.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you really just tapped in then there shouldn't be a problem.

But what do you mean about you "tapped into that as a switch for the EFI"?  If you are using the ignition power to pull in a relay then ok.  But if you are trying to run the EFI off that then you will have problems.

I'm with Jim, it sounds like the issue is with the power wiring at the starter relay or in that area.  Probably something done during the 3G swap.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
No, it’s just triggering the switch of the ignition.

I’ll check both set ups.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Wait a sec... Can someone confirm - should the larger gauge yellow wire be connected to the starter solenoid and be going to the alternator rather than straight to the alternator?

1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Actually according to the instructions from painless - the yellow wire should be going to a constant source battery. I’m think the yellow wire it’s connected to isn’t constant source. If I move it to the solenoid, I think I’ll be in good shape.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Tested and failed. Last stop is the red/green wire. It mustn’t be key on... My only other option are red and yellow/green.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FrazerJames
The large yellow wire (37) should be on the same stud of the starter relay as the positive battery cable. (Hot at all times)

Alternator output should be Orange/Black.

LtGrn/Red should be key on power. But if you don't have 37 Yellow hot at all times you won't see that, will you?
37 feeds the ignition switch and the always hot segment of the fuse panel.

If it is connected to alternator output (and not battery +) you will have no power until the engine is running.
This is going to be a problem if you need power to engage the starter relay......
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Jim! That was it! Thank you!

Now on to the next issue... LOL
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
For your Sniper installation, did you have to cut a hole in the exhaust for the O2 sensor?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Nope. The y pipe came with an O2 bung built in.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6