classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gear vendors wiring?

Ford F834
Administrator
Hi Gary, the email in my “sent” folder has page 5. It has info for C6 installation and speedometer information. If this did not come through I will gladly send it again. As for page 2, I’m not sure. The “first” page of the manual has no number on it, and the installation manual has two page 1’s. I saved these images from a forum post on another diesel group. They are in the order that the poster had them. Perhaps the manual had a blank inner cover or??? Anyway, let me know if you need me to resend page 5. I am going to keep my eye out for a better copy as well, since I own one of these.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For whatever reason I had the page that apparently was Pg 5 as the last page, but I've put it in what is apparently its proper place now.

But Pg 2 still seems conspicuous by its absence.

As for the quality, it is better than nothing but not really "good".  Is Doug Nash Enterprises still in business?  I didn't find them in a search, nor did I find an owners manual.  Maybe we have what there is?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
For whatever reason I had the page that apparently was Pg 5 as the last page, but I've put it in what is apparently its proper place now.

But Pg 2 still seems conspicuous by its absence.

As for the quality, it is better than nothing but not really "good".  Is Doug Nash Enterprises still in business?  I didn't find them in a search, nor did I find an owners manual.  Maybe we have what there is?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Doug Nash became U.S. Gear... and is no longer being made or supported. My understanding is that the seals and bearings are common GM transmission parts which are not too hard to match up if you have the original for reference. They are not completely obsolete white elephants,  but are not still supported like Gear Vendors. Being a direct gear drive design with no wearable clutch they are heavy duty and tend to last a long time. You are absolutely right. These pages are better than nothing, but certainly not great 😕
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Whoa, what a wonderful can of worms I opened by accident.

The unit seems pretty straightforward, but like every inch of my truck, theres wires everywhere. I will start from scratch.

Im not really sure how Id like to use it. Im not to sure of the gear splitting because my trans slips a little between gears right now. Would that mean I get more slipping because its shifting more frequently?
Im putting new fluid in this weekend so We'll see how much that helps.
But if I could get a higher overdrive for my short highway commute, Id be happy.

Honestly, this is not something Id buy  because I really dont have much need for it, but the PO installed it and Im slowly trying to track down all the wires in this truck. So this project is part of a longer journey.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
If you travel over 45 mph for any distance at all I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. With the 460 don't really expect to see a mpg difference on a short commute but the noise level alone (rpm) to me is worth it (maybe not full price worth it but it really is nice). I don't believe this would impact the transmission slippage since it would still be in the same gears as the gvod is after the transmission (and tcase). Personally, I'd stick with just leaving it in Auto mode (overdrive) and play with the splitting when you get more used to it.
If you want you to just try it out you can bypass the brain box and manually engage/disengage it. It all comes down to energizing a solenoid. The brain just controls the automatic portion of it and the safety features. If you do so, just make sure you follow the same precautions to avoid running it with low pressure.

You likely found this already but in 4x4 trucks it now calls for Lucas 75w-90 gear oil. They've changed their recommendation over the years and I think mine had automatic transmission fluid in it when I got it.

The only thing I can think of on rewiring it is that they don't want 'power on crank' going to it. I hooked mine to the heater wire under the dash.

Gary - sorry I never responded. I mailed this out the other day. It's composed of single sheets with a staple in the middle. Feel free to cut them in half if that's easier and you have a slicer.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - Are you SURE it is ok to cut in half?  I hate to do that, but....

I do have a paper cutter, so that would be easy.  And it is a royal pain to scan each piece of paper, duplicate all of them, re-order them as the bottom half are now in reverse order, and then crop each page to get the right image.

But you said it is something like 44 pages.  That's only 22 pieces of paper so isn't too bad.  It was that 200+ page owner guide that tested my religion.  So I can get there by not cutting them.  Your call.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Really - no problem at all  
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Realized I never followed up on this - Gary, did that envelope arrive awhile back?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it did.  And it is still sitting on my desk in the shop.  

Do you need it up on the site or need it back soon?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Nope, not at all to either
Just wanted to make sure it got there.
Scott