5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gas tank installation: Advice please!

doni10
This post was updated on .
Hello again good people,

It's me again, of the frustrating mechanical problems! :)

So am gradually ticking off the last bits and pieces of the getting the truck back on the road list, and am unfortunately back now at the 'half tick' of re-installing the gas tank. (i had it out before for some much needed rust treatment.)
I say half tick because i'm already quite a few hours into this one, gave up last time and put it off for later..

the problem im having is with the four metal 'c shaped brackets that envelope the tank and hold it in, i can't get the tank to sit high enough...
without the top two in place. the tank sits perfectly. exactly where it should. then as soon i try engaging the top two in the holes in the chassis the tank is considerably lower than how it should be...?
I tried pushing the tank up, but it feels as if its got nowhere to go and that there's no gap between the top of the tank and the upper brackets'?
I feel/(am hoping!) that i'm missing something here..
If someone wiser than myself could please illuminate on such a knack i would be extremely grateful.

other things of note,
>There is an RV body above the gas tank so access from on top is impossible.
> I seem to have misplaced one of the metal 'cross hole fixing' things? could this be of some relevance?
>Tank is situated 'midship' behind the axle,(as per snap).

Thanks, as ever,

Doni

1981 F-250 camper, 4.9l inline 6, RWD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gas tank installation: Advice please!

old55pete
From the picture, it looks like the tank is not sitting in the retaining straps correctly. With it sitting the way it is, it looks like you could get a pry bar between the rear of the tank and the cross member and pry the tank forward a little so it sits in the bends of the straps. Just an observation from acrost the pond.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by doni10
Doni - Steve is correct, it isn't sitting down in quite right.

But here's the illustration showing how it goes together.  And, by the way, a mid-ship tank refers to one on the side ahead of the axle.  Yours is an "aft-axle" tank.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

doni10
Thank for your Input guys.
I'm not sure if the picture is representative of how i was trying and failing to get it in, or more what i left it like once i gave up. Hopefully it's the former and the pry bar will do the trick!
Incidentally Gary while i've got you here, i've been meaning to send you a message to thank you for your write up on the 'step down regulator' for the instrument panel gauges. Followed your advice and mine have all now sprung back to life!
1981 F-250 camper, 4.9l inline 6, RWD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Doni - Glad the ICVR instructions worked for you.  

By the way, it looks like we are going to have a "virtual" truck show this September.  You can read about it here, but you'd be more than welcome to join.  You'll see that the trucks don't have to be complete to be entered - I know for sure Dad's truck won't be done but I may well enter it.  In fact, who's truck is really ever "done"?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI