Gas door bumpers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gas door bumpers

C.Jett
Gary, I ordered part #41-1597 80-86 Ford gas door bumper, fit on body from LMC. The hole in the truck is 5/16 and the part is 3/16. Called LMC, explained problem, they shipped me the same wrong part. Called LMC, explained problem, long story short, “Thats what is in the warehouse and no one has ever had a problem”.That’s the second time with LMC, only one to go. Did I read some where you know a guy named Keith ?, who is helping sort out problems at LMC. Maybe he could help out. They have got to be mislabeled. The old ones came out in pieces and I’m using pocket knife to open door. This small stuff is a pain. Thanks Charles
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gas door bumpers

Gary Lewis
Administrator
His name is Keith Dickson and he's "Mr Ford" at LMC.  He's a member on here so I've tagged him.  Hope he sees it 'cause that's a pain and it makes people not want to order anything else from the vendor.

The MPC shows that the bumper is PN # 354860, as shown below.  And below that is the page from the Standard & Utility Parts catalog which shows the dimensions.  Auvco part number for that is 4248, as shown at the bottom, and you can get 25 of them for $13.50 at Amazon.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Thanks Gary, mine appear to be more gumdrop shape than 4248. The photo below 4248 looks closer to mine. Mr. Dickson needs to introduce himself to customer care, no one there knows him. It seems problems at LMC go deeper than just parts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The one below is Auveco 4258, but Amazon doesn't appear to have it.  Maybe you can find it?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
This post was updated on .
There are three bumpers for the fuel doors.

CC-6 = Fits the gas door hinge inside where you cannot see it. Keeps the door from clanging when opening the door.  1 Required.

CC-22-A = Fits on the body of the plastic where the gas door rides when it's closed. 2 required.

Sounds like someone somewhere confused the two different ones, perhaps?

EDIT:

I found # CC-22-A = AKA: # 378359-S at Dennis Carpenter for $1.95 each.  The problem I see though is in their picture diagram it shows where it fits and that fitment location is where CC-6 fits instead.

378359-S

I found # CC-6  = AKA: # 354860-S at numerous places including still available at Ford and at Dennis Carpenter.

354860-S

--------------------

So somewhere, somehow the two bumpers got confused and switched places I'm thinking, but who is wrong, the vendors or the Master Parts catalog?    
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
I agree and thank you but how do we get part suppliers to clear this up so members don’t have a big problem with a small item? Maybe Gary can get Keith to shed light on this? Thanks again, Charles
Reply | Threaded
|

FORDification
Charles: I apologize for the incorrect part, this is the first I've heard about it. I can definitely look into it for you. Give me a couple days to go down this rabbit hole and I'll let you know what I find out.
Keith - FORDification.info/.com/.net - The '61-'79 Ford Pickup Resources
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, my preferred source on these is clipsandfasteners.com, here is the part:
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/searchresults.asp?searching=Y&sort=7&search=4258%20&show=45&page=1
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
85lebaront2 wrote
Gary, my preferred source on these is clipsandfasteners.com, here is the part:
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/searchresults.asp?searching=Y&sort=7&search=4258%20&show=45&page=1
That is not the correct part either. The hole dimensions are the same, but the other dimensions are off.

The part numbers also don't match up to the MPC.

---------------------------

I did a little more research, and this is definitely the one he needs:

Fit on body:

Ford Part#: CC-22-A = 378359-S : 5/16" diameter hole  Fits: 1980-1996 F-100/F-350/U-150: 1997 F250HD/F-350 -  1980-1986 Requires Two per door. 1987-1996/7 Requires One per door.

NPD has it here: And it's listed correctly on their page.

378359-S

------------------------------------

Fit on Door Hinge:

Ford Part#: CC-6 = 354860-S : Fits: Numerous Ford vehicles on up to 2019. Still available through Ford.  1980-1986 fits on fuel door hinge.

NPD has it here:

354860-S

------------------------------------

I checked LMC and they have both available as well. And their website page seems correct.

LMC #41-1597 should equal Ford # 378359-S,

I'm wondering now if the wrong part was labeled with the correct LMC number?  

And if that's the case, where does LMC get their stock from, and how many vendors does this potentially effect?
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by FORDification
Thanks a million Keith, didn’t mean to stir the pot, well maybe a little, I suggested to the supplier that the parts could be mislabeled but got nowhere, my 70 years experience from A models to Helicopter's, no good there. Nuff Said, look forward to information you get. Again Thanks, Charles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I've been driving all day (750 miles) so have missed today's to and fro, but it looks like things are working out.  But when the dust settles I'd like to document what was learned on the page at Documentation/Exterior/Fuel Filler Doors so we don't have to do this again.

Thanks, y'all!

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
Being a one finger Typer, it’s tough to answer everyone but I wish to thank each and everyone for their help and patience. This forum is the best I have joined. Thanks Guys
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I remember when I could drive like that.I’ve driven from Jacksonville,Fl. To San Antonio, Texas for daughters graduation from Air Force boot camp in one day. Drove from Monterey, Ca, to Atlanta, Georgia in four days pre-interstate in 1950 Plymouth. 750 miles is a tough drive even with interstate. When we hear from Keith, it will make it easier for members to get correct part. Charles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'll be tired for today and probably tomorrow because of that drive.  But Janey has come down with a sinus illness and has been feeling miserable so we didn't want to stop anywhere since she wouldn't enjoy it.  And I'll be surprised if I don't get it, so wanted to be home to battle it here.

Anyway, we will get things documented after I get some chores done - like trimming the grass and mowing.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by C.Jett
For what it's worth, I also ordered the gas door rubber bumpers from LMC for my 1984 F150, and they too did not fit...not even close. I went to the junkyard and walked around checking truck gas doors until I found a set that would work, and they came from a Dodge Ram! I forget exactly what I did...but I had to cut the height to fit. However, they popped in and fit fine otherwise.

On another note...and not to bash LMC...(I do order from them often), but they do have some mistakes in their catalogs and I've had to re-order or modify their parts to fit. The catalogs had the incorrect Bullnose cab mounts listed for ages and it has caused issues for others besides me, but I haven't checked recently to see if it has been fixed or updated.

On the upside, LMC shipped me an incorrect part one time and they promptly corrected the issue by sending me the correct part and told me to keep the wrong one. That's good customer service.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
In reply to this post by C.Jett

C.Jett wrote
Being a one finger Typer, it’s tough to answer everyone but I wish to thank each and everyone for their help and patience. This forum is the best I have joined. Thanks Guys
No problem.  

I agree, that this is a great forum, and all of us here try to help each other.

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by Rembrant
To be fair, LMC has always responded fast, but with the same wrong part. It’s always “that’s what’s in the warehouse and we haven’t had a problem”. That’s not solving the problem. The end user, you, pay more for parts in the long run because of this. No one wins. I wish LMC, all the success in the world and I will go on to larger things, like that large catfish at the pond, who broke my line twice. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Gary, any news on gas door bumpers? CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are we waiting on me or Keith/FORDification?  I've not heard back from him and was hoping you had.

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Gary, I didn’t know if Keith would contact you or me first. Just checking. CJ