classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gary's Testing On Alert Me By Email

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I apologize if this causes any of you extra email, but I need a place to capture what I'm learning about the forum, and what better place than on the forum.

null_to_false: I modified this macro and effectively made it so "null" equals "true", as shown below.  And that makes the "Alert me by email" tick box show up as ticked on all replies.  But not on the initial post of a thread.

Note that this macro is used in a whole bunch of places, so this can't be a good approach, even if we don't care about the initial post in a thread - but we do.  So, if we really want to go this way I think I will have to write a new macro called "null_to_true" and have the appropriate routines call it instead of null-to-false.

And in this case the null_to_false macro is called by the save_alert_field macro.  So maybe some should be done there?  At least to call a new null_to_true macro.

Note that having ticked the box once for me causes the box to be ticked the next time I replied.  But un-ticking it causes it to come up unticked the next time when null_to_false is in its original state.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gary's Testing On Alert Me By Email

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I sorta "wrote" a new macro.  Essentially what I did was to override the original null_to_false, then copied the original code from that macro below the overwritten macro.  Then I changed the name of the macro to null_to_true.  Then I went back to the save_alert_field macro and changed the call to null_to_true.

And the way it seems to work is that when I start a new thread the box isn't ticked.  But when I reply the box is ticked.  And if I untick it in my reply the next time I reply it is ticked again.  Kinda think that might tick people off.

Basically, what I'd like is to figure out how to tick the box by default when I start a new thread, and when Joe Blow replies the box is ticked by default.  But that however the box is ticked when I reply the system remembers it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Testing to see if being subscribed and ticking the box gets two emails.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Testing to see if being subscribed and ticking the box gets two emails.
It looks like the previous poster didn't bother to record the results of his tests.  

But if we want to modify the code we are going to have to be more diligent.  And speaking of the code, it is in NAML, and a couple of tutorials are available on that here.