classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gary's Haul of Books

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This morning I spotted a post on FB that asked if anyone in the Tulsa area would be interested in a number of Ford publications - for free.  They'd been found in a Chevy dealership and the boss man said "Get rid of them!"

So I raised my hand and am now in possession of a something like 3 dozen Ford training booklets, a whole bunch of TSB's that I surely already have, and several other Ford pubs.  And I got to meet Kyle Johnston, who will probably join here soon.  (And he already has a sticker for his '85 w/a 460.)

But I thought y'all might be interested in what some of the booklets are, so here's a sampling.  I'm planning over time to take them apart, scan them, and make them available on the website.  And most of these books are from Ford's Service Technician Specialty Training arm of the Technical Training Division.  So if you see something that really catches your interest let me know.

Gasoline Engine Operations: A 193-page book published in 1988 that covers the history of gasoline engine development, engine design, engine wear, ignition systems (inc DS-I, II, & III, TFI-I & IV, PIP, LOS, etc), air inlet systems, forced induction, and emissions systems.

Basic Gasoline Engine: 78 pages and published in 1989.  Similar to the one above but, not surprisingly, more basic.

The Effect Of Engine Design On Emissions & Performance: 71 pages published in 89.  Includes concepts of engine design (friction, volumetric efficiency, control of combustion, compression ratio, bore/stroke), cylinder head/combustion chamber, pistons, camshaft (lift, duration, overlap, roller), etc

Engine Cooling Systems & Components: A 47-page booklet published in 1988 that covers radiators (copper/brass, aluminum, cross-flow, down-flow), fluids, oil coolers, thermostats, etc.

Engine Superchargers: A 40-page booklet published in '88 that covers the reasons for supercharging, the types of them, etc

Electronic Fuel Injection: An 89-page booklet published in '88 that covers not only FI systems but also carburetion.  But it only goes up through EEV-IV.

Basic Turbochargers: 34 pages from 1988

Distributorless Ignition Sytems: 99 pages published in '89

Automotive Measuring Devices & Systems: 81 pages from 1988

Air Inlet Systems: 52 pages from 1989.  Shows the evolution of systems, the reason for heated air, the ramifications, etc.

Automotive Electrical Systems Review: 36 pages from 1991 that what electricity is, Ohm's Law, resistance, both in series and parallel systems, circuit protection devices like fuses, fuse links, and breakers, and measuring devices.  Plus, it defines a solenoid and a relay.  

Noise, Vibration, & Harshness: 52 pages from '89

Electrical Systems: 142 pages from 1988.  Basically a workbook that introduces you to electricity, explains how to measure it, how to repair connectors, how voltage regulators work, how to read the EVTM, etc.

Light Truck Rear Anti-Lock Braking Systems: 62 pages from 1991.  Covers brake balance, brake proportioning, and the RABS system, inc basic operation, servicing, and diagnosing.

Fastening Devices & Torquing Techniques: 40 pages & published in 1990.

6.9L Diesel Engine: 36 pages & published in '82.  Includes an overview of the engine and components, startup procedure, special tools, and specifications - including power (170 & 310), weight (780 w/o flywheel or starter), air induction flow at 3300 RPM (340 CFM), coolant flow @ 3300 (80 GPM), & exhaust flow @ 3300 (1020 CFM).

2.0L, 2.3L, 6.9L Diesel Engine Features: 46 pages published in 1986.  Shows the changes to those engines for the 1987 model year.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gary's Haul of Books

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sounds like a good haul!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When I get some of this stuff scanned it is going to really help people understand how things work.  It is really good reference material.  Instructional.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Wow! That’s a treasure trove to me. Nice score!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
This morning I spotted a post on FB that asked if anyone in the Tulsa area would be interested in a number of Ford publications - for free.  They'd been found in a Chevy dealership and the boss man said "Get rid of them!"

So I raised my hand and am now in possession of a something like 3 dozen Ford training booklets!
Gary,

I spotted that post about 30 minutes after you did. I was just getting ready to tag you in it when I saw that you had already replied. Nice catch!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dane - I agree, a treasure trove!  He was apologetic that it wasn't Bullnose stuff as he has used the website a lot.  But in reality books published in those years capture the Bullnose technology perfectly.

Cory - Thanks for thinking of me.  But I got lucky.  I watch the monitor pretty closely for email notifications that someone has posted since I like to admit newbies as quickly as possible.  But for some reason I looked at FB and saw that post.  Couldn't believe it - Tulsa!

Now, it wasn't totally free.  I got Janey to go with me and we went out to Russo's coal-fired Italian restaurant.  That's all John/Machspeed's fault as he told me about the place and now we've been three times.  

Also, Kyle is in need of some parts, and especially a tach as his friend fried his.  I think I have a spare w/o a pointer, so will offer it to him.  However, I need to design some way to test tachs as I want to make sure whatever I give him works.  

In addition, I'm afraid we may need to rethink our menu system with regard to publications.  Again.

I'm thinking that the Manuals & Literature section might be better labeled Library, although that is a minor thing.  However, more major is the idea that it would contain links to each document on the site.  For instance, we currently have buried in the Documentation/Engine section the factory shop manual sections for each engine.  But why not have a way to that via the Library?

Similarly we have the FSM sections for the transmissions, differentials, Bronco rear window, door latches & locks, and many, many others.  And we have the EVTM's.  And, and, and.  But none of those are shown in the Library.

So I'm wondering if we should give people two ways to each document - via the proper section, like Engines or Electrical, and via the Library.  Otherwise things like the new books on Basic Gasoline Engines, Gasoline Engine Operations, The Effect Of Engine Design On Emissions & Performance, and many more are going to go into some general section on Engines.

And, maybe we need to move whatever we call it, like Manuals & Literature or Library, out from the Documentation menu and put it where it'll show at the top so it is easier to find.  Then people won't have to drill down so deep to find things.

Thoughts, y'all?