classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel tank sending unit electrical connector

L.R.D.
Hey everyone,
some of you may remember last Spring I was chasing a problem with the fuel system on my '86 E150 (thanks again for the help on that).  I thought the issue was the rear pump and that I had fixed it, but I now believe the real problem is the wiring connector block to that sending unit.  It doesn't make a good connection to the posts on the sending unit, and because its plastic and the clips that secure it in place are broken, it also can vibrate loose.  I have been able to pry the female connectors a little to make them fit more snugly on the male connectors but it doesn't seem to hold very long.

I thought I saw somewhere in the documentation a diagram with a part number for that electrical connector but I can't seem to find it now.  Does anyone know that part number or know if that part is even available new still, or do need to find a used one?  and what is the proper name for that connector anyway?

thanks
Shawn
1986 E-150 5.0L EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel tank sending unit electrical connector

L.R.D.
ah "Fuel Pump Connector" seems to be proper search term.  Found this on O'Reilly. It looks to be correct.  Anything I should know before trying this part?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/standard-ignition/standard-ignition-4-terminal-multi-purpose-connector/std0/s561/v/a/5058/automotive-van-1986-ford-e-150-econoline?q=fuel+pump+connector&pos=0

1986 E-150 5.0L EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you found it.  

Should be able to splice it in easily.  But I recommend soldering it and using adhesive-lined shrink tubing to seal and protect it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

L.R.D.
that sounds like a good idea. thanks, Gary.
1986 E-150 5.0L EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
Since the connector is underneath the body, it may be worth it to spring for "marine grade" heat shrink tubing.
West Marine will carry it, along with Amazon.

Don't know if it is, but if that is the same connector on the top of the rear tank, it is a lot of work to get to it.
(don't ask me how I know)
-= John =- 1985 F-150 EFI 302/5.0L dual tanks, long-wide bed, "heavy-half"
Reply | Threaded
|

L.R.D.
well, I had to drop the tank again anyway because it was leaking around the sending unit so when I did this work a few months back I either didn't tighten the ring enough or forgot to put the gasket in or who knows.    

The connector was so brittle that I just broke it apart and inspected the original connectors.  Except for one,  they were all in good shape and I was able to tighten them up to make a tight fit on the posts and preserve the rubber "plugs" on the wires right behind the connectors  (I tried to slide those plugs off the wires but they wouldn't budge).  The plugs fit perfectly into the new connector block so they should keep the connections dry.
1986 E-150 5.0L EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm confused.  I just responded on the redux thread where you said "I'd really like to not have to drop this tank again..."  So, you just dropped it to do the seal?  No wonder you don't want to drop it again.

Anyway, is this thread a separate issue or is the redux thread discussing sort of the same thing?  Or, are we talking about two different tanks on the same vehicle?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI