Fuel tank pressure.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel tank pressure.

stevenscoffee
Hello everyone. I have a bit of a head-scratcher here.

I have a 1985 f150 short bed with dual tanks. The font tank seems to be overly presurized.

No pressure comes out when I take the cap off to fill, but it will not take fuel!

Also have a small pin hole in the fuel fill pipe. This hisses and spits gas out and leaves a small pudle of fuel.
Reminds me a hole in a tire!

The rear tank hasn't had any issues at all.

Thoughts?
1985 F150 short bed
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fuel tank pressure.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Several thoughts...

First, the fuel selector valves are notorious for pulling from one tank and returning to the other.  So your front tank may be so full that it can't really take any more gas.  So has your gas mileage gone away?  If so, that might be the problem.

Also, has the tank or filler neck been replaced or removed at some point?  There's an outer and an inner hose and if they aren't put back correctly then you can get a situation where it won't want to let gas down.

Either condition, meaning a bad valve or the hoses put together incorrectly could cause problems with filling.  But if you have a leak in the filler pipe you have a problem there even if you also have a problem with the valve.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI