Fuel pump location

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel pump location

IowaTom
Gang - The man from whom I bought my F150 replaced the stock engine with a six that does not accommodate a mechanical pump.  As you can see, he installed an Edelbrock 2 to 3 psi electric on the engine side valve cover.  There is a nut between the pump and the cover, so it's not actually touching the engine, but my gut tells me I aught to move that pump preferably back to near the gas tank.  WWYD?

'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel pump location

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know that it is a problem, and I don't think that I'd worry about it.  But that's just my opinion.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Good!  I feel much better about it.  Thanks, Gary.
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
it is recommended that a pusher pump be close to the tank and lower if possible. that really helps with the prime issue. when I get back to my project, I am doing the same and intend to have it very close to the tank on the inside of the frame rail. ford put their high-pressure pump there for the early efi models.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by IowaTom
I don't think I'd mess with it if it works. The mechanical pump on my 1980 Custom is mounted (stock) under the hood right next to the engine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
true . if it works it works. but a mechanical diaphragm pump is a different animal than the small electric circulator types. they are unlikely to burn out if ever run dry or lose prime. there is a real strong reason for the manufacturers to have electric pumps submerged in the fuel tanks these days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jake Papageorge
In reply to this post by IowaTom
I have a suggestion for you.  That pump is really meant for pushing as opposed to pulling.  Secondly, that location is too hot and has way too much vibration.  I would definitely re-locate closer to the fuel source.

That is a very low volume pump so putting that filter before it is going to put a lot of strain on that pump.  

Finally, I know that thing does not pull a ton of current, but put a relay on the pump circuit if you dont already have one on there.  

Just my 2 cents brotha!  

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
amen!