Fuel gauge and adding trans temp gauge?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel gauge and adding trans temp gauge?

Jacob84
Howdy guys, want to brainstorm a little bit with y'all about my gauges.

Since I am now running EFI I have a 95 f150 tank. As y'all might know the sender in the 95 tank doesn't have the same ohm range for the bullnose gauge to work properly. That's my first question issue  Sure I could buy a "fuel gauge interface module" from speedway motors for $100 but that's pricey for that little module. It goes in-between the gauge and sender and makes the gauge read properly. Is there a cheaper option? Or easier? It's my daily so it's important for me to have that gauge working properly.

Second thought. As most of us know the factory ammeters never really work well if at all. You can get it converted to a voltmeter which is nice but I have a little controller with my efi system that tells me voltage so I don't want to convert it to that. I don't like redundancy when it comes to gauges. Here's the thought I had. I've always wanted a trans temp gauge as I'm running a C6. I tow and haul nearly 5 days out of the week if not more so it's important for me to know. Is it feasible to take that ammeter out and put in a factory coolant temp gauge in it's place but have it read the trans temp? I know it won't as simple as just swapping the gauges and sticking a sender somewhere.

It would look factory and that bottom right corner of the gauge cluster would have some purpose again
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel gauge and adding trans temp gauge?

Jacob84
Also, I apologize if I don't respond quickly, typed this up at lunch and I don't have good internet at home!
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jacob84
On the trans temp gauge, you'd have to replace the ammeter with a coolant temp gauge, but you could certainly use it to show trans temp by using a temp sender.  I don't know what it would take to put a temp gauge where the ammeter is, though.

On the fuel gauge, I have an Arduino project planned, as described here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td7174.  That's 'cause I plan to run a fuel delivery module like you have to provide the pump, sender, check valves, etc.

And the Arduino will have the bandwidth to do all sorts of other things, like alarming if any parameter gets out of range.  But, I'm not ready to do it yet.  And it may come to about $100 anyway with all the parts.  So, the module you found may be your best bet.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
In reply to this post by Jacob84
Just a thought, Do you still have the old sending unit? If so take off the float level assembly and adapt it, mount it to the new 95 module. Wouldn't think it would be to hard.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Very good point Bruce.

Subscribed as I am interested in what you come up with on the tranny temp guage.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Anything come of this? In particular the trans temp.
Mark, the retired Ford transmission engineer, over on FTE has mentioned a few times about using the test port. Is that what you had planned?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio