Fuel Tank

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel Tank

Dutch
My tank is leaking and I would like to install a 38gal tank between the rear frame, I know I will need to relocate spare.
Has anyone done this? I found a 38gal tank on eBay. What straps will I need? Sending unit?
Relocate filler tube?
Thanks, Dutch
85 F-150, 2wd, short bed, 4.9, 3sp/overdrive, side mounted 16.5gal tank.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel Tank

kramttocs
Administrator
Are you looking at the F26D? It's been awhile since I've researched it but it comes (or used to) with the hardware needed to drop the straps (or plates) lower and extend the pickup.
Here is a link I bookmarked awhile back.

In addition to the spare, will you need to reroute your exhaust?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I actually have one, basically new in box, and it looks like it came with the hardware but I don't know that for sure.  And I think I have the sending unit and the extension kit for it.  Could make you a deal on it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dutch
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I don't know concerning the exhaust. However my tail pipe rusted off and I was going to take the truck to a local guy who is always priced right. I will now wait until I replace the tank either with the 38gal or the original side mounted 16.5gal. Time is of the essence, needs done ASAP.
Thank You for the link, good info.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dutch
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
That would be great Gary. Remember I will be replacing a side mounted tank, filler door in front of the wheel well.
The tank on eBay, just the tank, is $135.00.
What amount would make you want to part with the tank, hardware & sending unit?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll sell what I have for 1/2 of what it lists for, plus shipping.  Tomorrow I'll see what I have and let you know.  And I'll post pics of what I have.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dutch
Oh wait. So you don't currently have a rear tank at all?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Dutch
Sounds Good, Thank You.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dutch
No, just the side.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dutch wrote
Sounds Good, Thank You.
My fear is that shipping will be more expensive from me to you than from ebay or elsewhere to you.  But, we shall see.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That will add a little complexity to it

You'll need the two top straps (look like the side tank straps) and the two bottom ones. Those are wider and thicker. Skid plates will also work. Routing the filler/vent hose, extending the wiring, and fuel line can all be done but will just take time.

To all - do the single tank trucks have the needed crossmember? All my pickups are dual tanks but I know on my c&c trucks they didn't have the second from the rear crossmember if they were single tank.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - I don't know about that crossmember, but it is a good question.  I'm going to guess that they don't, but that is just a guess.  Ford didn't put things in that weren't needed, and it wouldn't be needed in a single-tank truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
kramttocs wrote
To all - do the single tank trucks have the needed crossmember? All my pickups are dual tanks but I know on my c&c trucks they didn't have the second from the rear crossmember if they were single tank.
Don’t think so Scott. The 1995 F150 I just disassembled for the chassis was a rear tank only truck, and it has a crossmember that my 1984 (side tank only) does not have. Both are swb trucks, but my ‘84 does not have the crossmember for a rear tank. It has a bolted in crossmember for the spare tire to hit but it is completely different.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks guys.

So Dutch, there will be some sourcing of parts needed but the plus side is that you won't have to take the truck out of commission for the majority of the project.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, here's what I have, all new:

Spectra Premium F26D:  This is the 38 gallon fuel tank that goes behind the rear axle.  The only place I can find it is at Summit and they don't technically have it but say they'll get it to me by 11/30 for $201 + $10 shipping.  And it comes with the installation kit that includes the parts and instructions to extend the pickup so it'll reach the bottom of the tank.  But, I no longer have the box, although it was just cardboard, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sending Unit: I have a new in box 43-4044 sending unit, which came from LMC, and this page on their site says it is $60 but I can't figure out what the shipping cost would be.  Also, this is for a truck with an engine-mounted fuel pump.

Anti-Squeak Set: This appears to be the insulation that goes between the straps and the tank.  It is listed at $5.

Bottom line is that the list price for the stuff would be $201 + $60 + $4 = $265.  As said, I'll sell it at half the list price or $133.  But the shipping is on you and I know that the tank is going to be fairly expensive given its size and weight.

I can supply pics if you are interested.