Fuel Tank Selector Valve Delete?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel Tank Selector Valve Delete?

Socnarftrucks
Do I absolutely need the gas going through the fuel tank selector valve?Both low pressure fuel pumps in My 86 F150 with a 302 we’re not working. So I installed a new rear tank pump and completely bypassed the fuel selector valve. The truck idles good ( has a fuel
Pressure of 32 PSI but has very poor acceleration and dies off easily. Any help is appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel Tank Selector Valve Delete?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Does your system look like the one below?  And did you just bypass 9B253 or did you also bypass the high pressure pump - 9C407?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
Gary:  truck is an EFI by the way. I bypassed the 9B253; connected the supply line directly to the  high pressure pump. The return line also bypassed it. Fuel selector switch is on the rear tank.
Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Sorry, yes the system looks like one in the diagram.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Two thoughts.  First, make sure that the high pressure pump is running.  Second, the fuel selector valve also has a reservoir on it, and I wonder if it is needed.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
The high pressure is definitely working. I am only using the rear tank and the reservoir valve is totally bypassed. I wonder if the reservoir was engineered to provide just the right amount of fuel pressure.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'm wondering if the reservoir is needed.

Bill?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The reservoir is used even on single tank vehicles like a Bronco. The idea was to provide a place for the high pressure Bosch pump to get fuel from. The pump is very common on EFI Mercedes-Benz cars where it is placed even with or below the bottom of the tank.

I am not sure that the high pressure pump can draw fuel from the bottom of a truck tank, up to the top, then in. The only concern I can conceive would be the in tank pump failing from fighting the pressure head.

It is designed for the excess delivered to the reservoir to be returned to the tank so the in tank pump is essentially a circulating pump.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  So if I understand, you don't see a problem as long as the in-tank pump doesn't fail?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Exactly, if it is a concern, a small relief valve in the line from the tank with it's outlet teed into the return from the engine set just below the max pressure of the in-tank pump (example, in-tank pump 6 psi, relief valve at 4-5 psi).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well….. as luck would have it, the rear in tank pump just crapped out. Even though the high pressure pump is running strong no fuel is being drawn from the rear tank.  As Bill stated the reservoir plays a huge part on the pressure and bypassing it only works temporarily.  Guess I’m getting a new reservoir and dropping the rear tank again.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Get one for a Bronco unless you plan on using the front tank later, that way you won't have three extra fittings for the front tank.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
Change in plans. I ordered a new front tank and sending unit assembly and I’ll
Just use the front one. I’ll deal with the rear tank later. I cleaned it the best I could but there was some rust. Maybe that played a factor in the in tank pump malfunctioning….
Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
Not to state
The obvious but Just clarifying: I’d need to get a single tank reservoir for a 80-86 bronco or does it have to be 86?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This is a VERY confusing area for me.  In the illustration below you can see that what appears to be the same thing is called by two different numbers - 9K044 & 9B253.

In the listing here we see that 9K044 is shown as Reservoir Assy and 9B253 is shown as Reservoir And Fuel Tank Selector Valve.  So I think that 9K044 is for the single-tank trucks and is just the reservoir, where 9B253 is for dual-tank trucks and is both the reservoir and switching valve.

So if you are ever going to run two tanks you'll need E6TZ 9B253-C or the replacement F1TZ 9B253-B.  But in that case you should plug the fittings for the rear tank to keep them clean.  But you could do as Bill suggested and go with the Bronco tank in the rear or just use the single mid-ship tank and use E6TZ 9K044-A.

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
Thanks Gary,

I have been looking everywhere (eBay, Amazon, rock auto, bronco GY, Oreillys, etc., for the bronco reservoir (E6TZ-9K044-A), it has proven to be very, very elusive. Unless I’m able to find it, option B would have to be the two tank reservoir and plug the fittings for the unaided tank.  Maybe you have a suggestion where to look.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not seeing anything available either.  However, you might want to search for the ID # that would be on the part: E6TA-9K044-BA.

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
Dang! Not having any luck finding the F1TZ 9B253–B dual tank reservoir either. The only ones available are the F1UZ 9B263-B for 87’ to 89’……. I wonder what the big difference is? Maybe that it doesn’t have a filter inside?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know as I've not even seen one of them.  Maybe others know?

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
UPDATE: I found the Bronco reservoir at a local junk yard, cleaned it and blew some compressed air trough it. Once I replaced the rear in tank low pressure pump, reconnected the rear tank lines only...: it worked!!!!! Truck idles nicely and responds to acceleration. Your help and advice are greatly appreciated.