Fuel Sending Unit Fitment

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel Sending Unit Fitment

Kevin6980
Hello everyone! My sending unit recently went out and the only one I can find looks like it has provisions for an in-tank fuel pump but I have the mechanical pump on my 4.9l. My question is will that still work or do I need to modify it somehow? I have a 1986 F150 with a short bed so I'm assuming it's the 16 gallon tank. Also here is the link to what I found on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165595124790?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=k1sxchubqwc&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=SxF0n3LtQWa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

P.S. I've never used a forum before and I'm not very tech savvy so please let me know if I did something wrong here! Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel Sending Unit Fitment

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you are using the forum quite well.  

Yes, you should have the 16.5 gallon midship tank, E5TZ-E.  And since it is used for all engines including the EFI'd 302 then it'll have the larger opening, which that sending unit appears to have.  So I think that unit would work fine, although you'd want to cap the return line.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Kevin6980
Thank you so much! Would you also happen to know the thread pitch for the carb studs in the intake?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The one intake I have uses 5/16-18 threads.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Kevin6980
normally the carb studs are 5/16-18 going into the intake but have the fine threads on topfor the two hex nuts holding the carb.
on the sender unit, either the 4.9,5.0,5.8 will all use the same tank yet eill have sending units specific to whether it has a carb or efi. the efi uses a return line and will have a lift pump to get fuel to the high-pressure pump but the carb models will only have a pickup tube with screen and only one port going out. also, the carb models will be two wires since it is not wiring to a pump.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Kevin.  
1985 was when Ford changed to the bigger tank bung (except for Broncos!)

Some carb models have a mechanical fuel pump with return line from the pump itself.(at least I know mine does)
But it still has the 2 pin connector at the tank bung.

If your truck has a three port selector valve and only a single fitting at the tanks you need a sender like this.
https://eclassics.com/eclassics-1985-1986-ford-f-150-pickup-truck-stainless-steel-fuel-sending-unit-non-efi-3-8-16-5-gallon-side-mount-tank/

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good info.  And thanks for correcting me, Jim!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think you could cap the return port just fine but the bigger problem is that the two pin harness connector will not fit the four pin tank socket. (AMHIK!)

It seems only the 460 & 351HO trucks got the three port mechanical fuel pump, with return.
So the one shown (or one similar) would be correct for a 4.9 short bed/Flareside.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point about the connector.  I didn't think of that.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Kevin6980
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks so much everyone! I'll return the other one and just get that one then. I'd rather have the correct part then try and make the wrong one work! Hopefully if the weather holds out I can work on it next weekend but I'll let yall know how it went.