Front sway bar - different for IDI diesel engine trucks??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Front sway bar - different for IDI diesel engine trucks??

1985IH69
Hi guys!  Haven't been on here for some time due to having to put all of my projects on hold.  I have a 1985 F350 2wd DRW which was originally equipped with a 460 gas engine/4spd trans.  Decided to swap in a 7.3 IDI diesel and retain the 4spd.  This truck was originally spec'd as a wrecker, with additional frame reinforcement, at the factory.  Hence, it has sway bars both front and rear.  However, as I'm sure a lot of you know, the radiator support for the diesel engine is "deeper" (or taller, depending on how you look at it), so it will not go in place without removing the front sway bar.  I really hate to give the sway bar up, and have Google'd every set of search terms I could think of, to try to find a part number, diagram - anything, to no avail. I looked at the diagrams that Gary had posted, but didn't see one for the 1985 F350.  If anyone could shed some light on this, I would be greatly appreciative.  Thanks in advance to all who may reply.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Front sway bar - different for IDI diesel engine trucks??

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Is this the one you need?  "1980/" means 1980 to the end of the catalog, which was 1989.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1985IH69
Thanks for the clarification on the year models.  I'm not sure.....I don't know for a fact that Ford offered the front sway bar for the diesel models or not. If they did, then it would have to be different part number from the "gas" models. Hoping that some of the members on here might have a F350 with the diesel and can tell me if they have a front sway bar on theirs. Additionally, if such an "animal" does indeed exist, I would be open to buying a used one or new - doesn't matter.  I would put new bushings on it, so I can't see where a used one wouldn't be just as good as a new one. But, I may be wrong about that - don't know.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1985IH69
The illustrations in the factory manuals are unfortunately very generic.
When you see ford documentation with a forward slash and no closing year, it means it carries through...

But there's definitely a 2wd Diesel front sway bar part # shown under that section. https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/sway-bar.html

2wd Dsl Eng W/O Super Cooling E0TZ 5482-A, insulator   E0TZ 5493-C
2wd Dsl Eng W Super Cooling     E3TZ 5482-C, insulator    E8TZ 5493-A

Brackets, links and stuff as well, but I'm trying to do this on my phone so you're going to have to get those for yourself.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1985IH69
Now we're making progress... Thanks to ArdWrknTrk for pointing out the part numbers and Gary for posting the info. Obviously, my "Ford catalog skills" are lacking...terribly. (Like Gene Winfield says, "Everyday is a school day".  So true.  I had picked up on this "super cooling" somewhere in my internet search, don't remember where, but obviously it's just a larger radiator??  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thicker (more rows) but not "bigger" (wider, taller)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, Darth has the "Super Engine Cooling" which is simply an auxiliary transmission cooler for the C6.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And the tranny cooler mounts behind the radiator where it would obstruct the sway bar?

Why is the coolant capacity greater for super cooling trucks if the radiator is the same?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1985IH69
So it appears there are 2 different radiators and radiator supports with the difference determined by whether or not the truck has AC.  I have a parts truck with the "Super Cooling" radiator w/radiator support (the tall one, if you will) and have the other one which is for a wider but shorter (non AC, we will assume) radiator.  It appears when looking up radiators for the 1985 F350 they do show the 2 different radiators, with the short/wide one being more expensive. As mentioned above, I have 2 of the "Super Cooling" radiators with 1 matching radiator support, but the parts truck does not have the front sway bar.  So anyone that might have a sway bar for this truck, please let me know.