Frame rust, Line-X and undercoating

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Frame rust and undercoating update

RenoHuskerDu
Nice. The key is to first open the list of members, then try the ctl/f search.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep. Did you try it?  Did it work?  Does it make sense?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Yes, I tried it. You have to be aware of what we called "pointer focus" when I was a software PM. Where the pointer is on the screen affects what happens. After the ctl/f I found that I have to move the pointer down into the list of members, for the Find to work there too.

But yes, it works. It may have all along but I didn't try moving the pointer down there the first time.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  What browser are you using?

I've done some playing with it and have revised the wording, so would you check it out and see what you think?  Does that approach change your experience?  Does the pointer still need to be pointed at the members?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Map search functionality

RenoHuskerDu
It speaks Spanish now, see image. No hay problema para mi.  And it finds names without moving the pointer there. There is a delay, which is probably why I thought I needed to move the pointer there. I'm impatient. Just ask my wife.

My browser is Dissenter, which is a recent fork off Brave, which itself is a variant of Chrome. Brave strips out the spyware in Chrome, and Dissenter strips out more bloatware then adds commenting capability on any website in the world. Websites ID it as Chrome.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't see any Spanish in the image.  

Dissenter?  Just downloaded it and will give it a try.  I use Chrome because it allows me to force the result to be verbatim.  Was in the Microsoft store buying this tablet and the tech suggested I use Edge.  I asked him if I could force it to give me only what I typed in and he said no browser does.  I showed him that Chrome does.

So, can I do that on Dissenter?  If so, and if it doesn't use as many resources as Chrome I might switch.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Forget that question.  

That's a function of the search engine and not the browser.  I should have know that.  (Retired from IT.)  I've set Google as my search engine and I can now force it to verbatim.  I'll have a play with Dissenter, but it seems faster than Chrome at first blush.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
I never ran Chrome because I was in software for a living and heard about its spyware. But I can tell you that Dissenter uses about 60% of the RAM that Brave does, and Brave is already de-fattened from Chrome. If your fave feature was in Chrome when Brave forked off the most recent branch a year or so ago, then it's probably in Dissenter. Dissenter forked off from Brave  less than a year ago.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 9:22 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Forget that question.  

That's a function of the search engine and not the browser.  I should have know that.  (Retired from IT.)  I've set Google as my search engine and I can now force it to verbatim.  I'll have a play with Dissenter, but it seems faster than Chrome at first blush.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Frame-rust-Line-X-and-undercoating-tp49073p49801.html
To unsubscribe from Frame rust, Line-X and undercoating, click here.
NAML

--
//RCL
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm giving Dissenter a try.  We shall see.  But I had to tell it to use Google for searches as that is certainly my favorite since it lets me get verbatim results and not results with just a portion of what I asked for.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Goolag's political bias carries into its search results. The best one I've found is Yandex. But it delivers some multilingual hits so more to wade thru. DuckDuckGo is my daily driver.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 1:46 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm giving Dissenter a try.  We shall see.  But I had to tell it to use Google for searches as that is certainly my favorite since it lets me get verbatim results and not results with just a portion of what I asked for.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Frame-rust-Line-X-and-undercoating-tp49073p49824.html
To unsubscribe from Frame rust, Line-X and undercoating, click here.
NAML

--
//RCL
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?