1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Frame repair kit [E5TZ-5K130-A] - NOS

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, I'd never seen that, but it is in the catalog.  The shot below shows what's in it.  And I'll tell you whether it is just '86 and later in a few weeks/months.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Neat kit, and already sold;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Ask Mr. Lewis if it is on its way to Skiatook for Big Blue???

Ford must have recognized a tendency for the frame to crack near the steering box?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
All in the name of research. Inquiring minds have to know if it really is 1986+. Don't we believe that the frames didn't change during the Bullnose years? And we know the steering boxes didn't.

Seriously though, Big Blue's got a clunk that has to be a cracked frame, Huck bolt loose, or some other rivet loose. So I'm highly likely to be repairing something right there and have to take the steering box off. And if the frame is cracked then it should be reinforced. And if it isn't cracked then why not reinforce it?

Dad's frame was cracked there and never was abused. Stock tires, no offroading, etc. So if it can crack then surely Big Blue's can and probably has/will.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hmmmm… spending another's money, vicariously!
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Steve!  What TSB is that from?

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Since there's no TSB number in the caption or filename, I assume it's from the service manual.  I might have just put it in the TSB album because it seemed like one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I went through the '96 to '98 TSB's today and didn't find that one.  But I did find it on-line elsewhere and copied the contents into a Word document.  Then I created this page: TSB's/Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Wheels/Steering Gear Frame Liner.  See what you think.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
It looks fine to me.  Rivet replacement with bolts was a TSB:

The steering liner seems like it belongs with the frame noise TSB, so you might want to bring them all together on that page.  Maybe put the rear shock mount with them, too.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I added the rivet/bolt TSB yesterday: 96-15-11 FRAME - RIVET REPLACEMENT WITH BOLTS so I think that's covered.

As for the rear shock TSB, that doesn't apply to the Bullnose trucks.  And, while I know we have stuff on here that doesn't apply to Bullnose, for the most part that's because someone is likely to put that part in a Bullnose.  Like the ZF5.  So I'm struggling with including that TSB.  But, just for you....    Anyway, it is now on: TSB's/Brakes,Steering,Suspension,Wheels/90-13-9 FRAME CRACKING AT REAR SHOCK MOUNT, although I'll have to go add it to the spreadsheet.  Boy, this TSB stuff is tedious.

But, on bringing them all together on one page, I'm not ready to do that as I don't yet have my mind around how to organize the TSB's.  We have at least four "frame" things at present, and I'd bet there are several more buried in all these TSB's on my shelf.  I can get 5 tabs on a page, and I can nest tabs below those 5 tabs, but not knowing how big this is going to get has me leery of starting down a path and then having to change directions.

So, let's hold off a bit on merging things onto one page.  The rear shock mount TSB is under Brakes, Steering, et al so there is a semblance of organization.  We just have to figure out what the next layer is.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the frame repair kit in yesterday.  And while I'd hoped there would be instructions that I could easily copy and put on the page with the existing instructions, that doesn't appear to be the case.  As shown below, these instructions are on one GIGANTIC piece of paper, roughly 45" x 54".  (The floor tile are 18" square.)

And in the corner, right above the title block, it says.....  So, it can't be used for 1980 - 83 anything?  And, it can't be used for 1984 and later regular cab pickups?  Nor pickups with leaf springs?

I can see that maybe the kit hits the spring perches on leaf-spring vehicles.  But, is the front of an '80 - 83 different than an '84+?  And is the front of a regular cab different than anything else?

I'll take the thing out later and see how it might have gone on Dad's truck, but with the RedHead box there that may be difficult to ascertain.  And, I'll certainly try it on Big Blue when the time comes, but.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
If you fold or cut the edges along the outermost box, can you scan one "area" at a time?  It looks like it's laid out in 3 distinct columns; each about as wide as a sheet of paper is long.  Can you get a column onto your scanner?

Or do you have a camera with a telephoto lens?  Tape the drawing to a flat board, set it up vertical where there's good light, set the lens to maximum zoom, and walk as far away as you can to get one column of the drawing barely into frame.  That will give you the max resolution, and the least distortion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
And in the corner, right above the title block, it says.....  So, it can't be used for 1980 - 83 anything?  And, it can't be used for 1984 and later regular cab pickups?  Nor pickups with leaf springs?

I can see that maybe the kit hits the spring perches on leaf-spring vehicles.  But, is the front of an '80 - 83 different than an '84+?  And is the front of a regular cab different than anything else?
Hey Gary, I wonder if the 1980-83 is referencing the F100 models? By the way, I was looking at the front section of the frame on a 1980 F100 recently and the C-channel looked like it was lighter and narrower to me. Did they have a lighter frame or was it just my eyes playing tricks on me?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - I took it out to the ladies who frequently do scanning for me.  They have a large scanner, but even it can't take that size of sheet.  Unfortunately the owner wasn't there yesterday, but is to call today and I think she can cut the sheet one time and then feed the two parts through separately and I can put them back together via my app.

Cory - There were several frame sizes, as shown below, which is from the 1982 Dealer Facts Book and Page 11 of the Axles, Frames, & Suspensions tab.  So perhaps it is that the part I have is too tall for the other frames.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
That chart is interesting because I've measured my original '83 Bronco frame at ~0.146" thick, which is what the '92-96 service manual says all Bronco/F150 frames are, and what I've measured several of them to be.  I know Spicer made the '92-96 frames because I've found their steel tags still in the rear crossmember of a few frames (including my '93's original frame).  And it surprises me to see that they used THAT many different thicknesses to stamp out so many frame rails that are so similar.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is surprising that they'd use so many different sizes of frames.  But the 1983 dealer facts book has what appears to be the same chart with a different date.  But .146" is the thickness of the F150's frame not that of the Bronco.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the steering gear liner instruction "blueprint" scanned and on the web site today here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/steering-gear-frame-liner.html.  And did some checking of the liner.  It measures .165" thick and the one on Dad's truck measures .145" thick.

But, in looking at the new liner I found that it either won't fit Dad's truck or they changed things later.  In the pic below the red circled rivets and holes are those that match from Dad's to the new liner.  But the yellow-circled ones are different.  Note that the red arrow shows that Dad's frame liner ends before it gets to the crossmember.  But the new liner is designed to go between the crossmember and the frame and get held in with those two rivets.

So I went out to look at Big Blue.  Turns out that his liner goes between the crossmember and the frame.  So, are the F100's and F150's like Dad's through the Bullnose years, or was there a change to all the trucks between 1981 and '85?

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Based on when they first published the front crossmember TSB, and how many times they re-issued it, I'd guess they DID change that part of the frame between '81-85.