26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Frame Bolts

Vic Roma
I learn something with every post.
Orange is the new blue.
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There is still Blue, but Orange is even stronger.

That webpage recommends it for: Cylinder block and rocker arm studs, ring gear bolts, frame bolts, shock absorber bolts.  (Bolding is mine.)
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
Vic Roma wrote
If torqued correctly, is there a need to insure against a nut working loose, say by using Loctite Blue (243), Loctite Red (262), or even use two nuts?
I used Stover lock nuts on all of my frame bolts, and I've replaced dozens and dozens of them rebuilding my 1980, and replacing spring hangers on my 1984. Grade 8 washers on both sides, and then the Stover locks installed with an impact (they're a pain to do by hand) and I don't think they will work loose (in my opinion). They haven't worked lose on anything that I've used them on.

If you wanted double insurance, use Stover locks annnd Loctite, ha!

PS: Stover style lock nuts are pretty common in Automotive. I know I run across them all the time, even on the old trucks. They lose some of their bite if you re-use them, but I prefer them over Nylocks.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've never heard the term Stover Locks but am quite familiar with distorted thread prevailing torque lock nuts.
I learned something.  Thanks for that, Cory!

Definitely miles ahead of one time use Nyloc nuts and much more secure.
I like the fact that you can get them flanged as well.
Far better than a separate washer.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd not heard of Stover lock nuts either.  But Albany County Fasteners says:

Prevailing Torque Lock Nuts, commonly known as stover hex lock nuts or toplock nuts, is a type of distorted thread nut with distorted threading being on the nut's conical end. For this reason, they are considered one-way nuts as the nut can only be started on one end of the threading. It's also why they are called "toplock" or "top lock" nuts.

The nut's distorted threading gets stretched as the fastener is inserted into it, causing friction between the nut and fastener and creating the locking action. The elastic nature of the deformation of top lock stover nuts means they can be reused indefinitely. They are often preferred over nylon insert lock nuts because, being all-metal, they are not subject to the temperature and chemical limitations of nylon inserts.

Learn something every day.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I've never heard the term Stover Locks but am quite familiar with distorted thread prevailing torque lock nuts.
I learned something.  Thanks for that, Cory!

Definitely miles ahead of one time use Nyloc nuts and much more secure.
I like the fact that you can get them flanged as well.
Far better than a separate washer.
I use them all the time, and maybe I latched on to the "Stover" term because that is what the local industrial fastener shop calls them, I don't know. In any case, I use them on everything...like shock bolts, or anything really that I don't want to come apart. They're almost like cross-threading a nut on haha.

I keep a few different sizes on hand for various uses, but I definitely used them on every single frame bolt I installed (when replacing rivets).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995