classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forum Hosting Plans - Update

1986F150Six
Administrator
Thanks from all of us to you, Gary, for all the time, energy and resources you, personally, invest for our benefit!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, David.  It does take some time, but it isn't too much.  And I'm learning as I go, so it is an experience.  Mostly good, but sometimes stressful as new problems arise and I don't immediately have a good solution.

But we are going to get "there".  I have faith.  And "there" is a forum with software that is running on servers for which we've contracted.  In other words, captains of our own destiny!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
Thanks from all of us to you, Gary, for all the time, energy and resources you, personally, invest for our benefit!
Indeed! Thank you!

The Doo Dah man!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
grumpin wrote
A young man escaping a troubled home life and a con man escaping the law meet on an open road in the middle of nowhere. As their friendship develops, they learn from each other.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Ha! I always hear the Grateful Dead!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I thought it was just me.

Keep on truckin' !  

(It's a lyric from the song, Gary)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
This is a big deal to do, Gary, I'm glad you're making progress? Heh...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, we are making progress.  The forum is running on AWS servers, and a lot better I might add.  But the email notifications aren't all working - yet.  The sys admin, Pedro, that is working on it says he thinks he'll have those issues fixed by the end of the month.

Then we need to sort out why we can't log onto the embedded version but can by going directly to it.  Probably some setting I've not got right.

And after that we can move.

Reply | Threaded
|

spike_time

If you are still having issues, let me know. I can help (as this type of things is my day job).
Tim
Big Blue: '86 F-350 XLT Lariat 7.5L 460 4x4
Dutch: 2012 Jeep JKU Sarah'con 3.5" Lift Upgraded Axles with E-Lockers
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you know about Nabble?  That's the code we are running.

Reply | Threaded
|

spike_time
I can't say I know Nabble specifically, but what I do know is Linux, PostgreSQL, Java, Python and the like, the basic underpinnings of what run it.

I know AWS extremely well. What I can say, is LightSail is more expensive than using more native solutions, like running direct EC2 instances, even with the DB running on them.  Having said that, LightSail is easier to manage, as it is a prepackaged setup.
Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know very little about all this.  But Nabble is a language, as explained briefly here.  I've contracted with a gentleman that used to work for the outfit called Nabble, and he has gotten the open-source version of Nabble running on AWS servers for us.  The thing keeping us from going live is that email notifications aren't working,

We initially started on AWS EC2 servers and that was running into ~$90/month.  So we moved to Lightsail and have the cost down to ~$30/mo.

Our response time on the Nabble servers is getting worse steadily, so we need to move ASAP.  Hopefully the email issue will be sorted soon.

Reply | Threaded
|

spike_time
I'm happy to jump in and help meaning "hands on keyboard" to see what I can do. Let me know, we can setup a call if needed.
Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, but I just got a note from the guy saying he thinks he can get it done in the next couple of days, and since I contracted with him for the job I need to see it through.

Maybe as we go forward?

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
following
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My cousin Vinny!  Where you been?  

Anyway, probably time for an update for y'all.  Pedro, the admin that's been working to get the Nabble software running on our AWS servers has been hung up doing other things and still hasn't gotten the email notifications working yet.  But he knows he won't get paid until he does, so it'll happen.  

And that is about all that is keeping us from going live on the new servers.  Hopefully soon!

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Maybe your cousin Vinny needs to make some cement shoes!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I took note of your test user on Gabble.
Is there any progress or update?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got that email, Jim.  And thanks for mentioning it as I should have warned y'all.

Yes, there is progress.  Pedro uploaded a recent backup of this forum onto our AWS servers and modified the email system, and we are banging on it to test it.  At this point it is working better than last time in that we are getting email notification of people registering.  However, when I registered this morning with that test user and clicked the "confirm" link I was sent I got an error message.  But, the registration worked and we, the admins, got an email to that effect.

So apparently the email system on the forum is working better this round.  And if all checks out we may move around August 1st.