Ford Motorcraft Dura Spark Ignition Module vs. Aftermarket

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ford Motorcraft Dura Spark Ignition Module vs. Aftermarket

LARIAT 85
I found this interesting article that illustrates some of the differences between the original Motorcraft Dura Spark ignition module and the aftermarket version:

http://www.counterpersontraining.com/index.cfm?go=lms.module&moduleid=71&mode=train&contentIndex=3&topicId=271

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ford Motorcraft Dura Spark Ignition Module vs. Aftermarket

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting read, Rick.  I've seen both the Ford and GM problems that were listed, but haven't seen the Chrysler ones.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Chrysler electronic ignitions were so reliable, you carried a spare module and double resistor in the glove box along with the needed tools. Just wait till you start on the Bee, I want you to take off and measure #7 plug wire, the one that crosses the front, runs down the inside of the left valve cover and around the back of the exhaust manifold to get to the plug.

I wish I had a nickel for every HEI distributor I saw with a hole blown right through the rotor. generally caused by the wires being bad.

On the Fords, I had more troubles with aftermarket DS-I and II modules than the factory ones, TFI, only ones I have seen with real problems are the distributor mounted ones, heat does kill them. Again, I stick to OEM on them rather than aftermarket.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Don't see any wrong with the GM HEI module and the Duraspark distributor  :) Better spark than a stock Duraspark.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco