Ford Authorized Remanufactured Engine

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ford Authorized Remanufactured Engine

brad1979
I recently purchased an 81 F150 super cab 4x4, beat and rusty but complete and running and driving (but basically a parts truck). Its a Custom with some interesting options such as  5.8 engine with automatic,  full gauges with tach, cloth seat (plaid), chrome front bumper with bumperettes and impact strips, and front and rear limited slip differentials. In the glove box I found an envelope with documents from a remanufactured engine that was installed. I searched the part numbers on the tag and papers but got no results. The info on detonation is an interesting sign of the times. It looks like they may have put a 400 in place of the 351.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ford Authorized Remanufactured Engine

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  I like the 400 - good torque if set up well.  But if it was "factory authorized" it might have gotten the factory, retarded, timing set.  A guy I know installed a straight-up set and a 4bbl and said it doubled the power.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
That's cool.

That and the Front and Rear Limited slip is a rare option.

Hard to turn corners in four wheel drive.

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

brad1979
The truck was going to get crushed so I had to save it for the front diff alone. From what I'm told the truck spent a lot of time out in the bush hunting etc so I can imagine it was pretty capable. When I cleaned out the cab I found probably half a dozen fuel filters, a spare duraspark box (I'm told they had to get rescued from the bush due to a bad one once), 2 brand new universal joints and a bottle of Ford gear oil. Everything you need to make it home.

When I had the 400 out of my F350 for new gaskets I advanced the cam and it made a pretty big difference with no other changes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  You saved it!  

Yes, the cam timing can make a very big difference.  Glad you did that.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

brad1979
I saved it right next to the other 3. It’s getting harder and harder to convince the department of love and finance to keep saving them. It also has a complete factory dual battery setup which is pretty neat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The dual battery setup is indeed rare.  I have one, but it is the only one I've ever seen.  Works wonders for the winch and 3KW inverter.  Feeding it with a 3G alternator.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by brad1979
Very cool!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona