classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ford Announces The Eluminator - Crate Electric Motor

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Our member Jon Stittsworth/Jstitts sent me a text this morning with this link to an announcement that Ford's made regarding an electric crate motor to replace internal combustion engines.  It is called the Eluminator, and you'll have to read the article to see why.

Apparently the details won't be available until November, but it is intriguing.  I wonder what bolts up to it?  How do you marry it to a transfer case?  What controller is needed?  And many, many other questions.

Thoughts?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ford Announces The Eluminator - Crate Electric Motor

grumpin
Interesting! Makes me think it’ll take up a lot of bed space for batteries. Don’t know what you’d do in a car.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Would an electric motor need a transmission?  If not, can it go in place of the tranny and the rest of the engine compartment be used for batteries?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by grumpin
I'm intrigued, and have been waiting for it since I stumbled across Electric GT on social media. The more companies offering crate electric engines, the lower the pricing. Electric conversions seem to be running around the $40-$50k and up mark right now, so it is far from a budget friendly option. But if those prices cut in half, they would be much more in line with performance internal combustion engines. I would definitely be interested in throwing one in both of my Rangers since the 3.0 V6 is nothing special and I wouldn't miss them provided servicing the electric motors doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Interesting! Can't have a Bullnose without an exhaust sound though...LOL! All this technology is still in its infancy. A few more years and we'll be seeing some major advancements.

I took a ride in a friends Tesla Model 3 just yesterday. This was my first time in an all electric car. Man, that thing rips! It pinned my head to the headrest with some unbelievable acceleration. Strange going that fast and not hearing the roar of an angry engine. The technology in that car is unbelievable. Kind of weird not having any gauges in front of you. Instead, you have a huge iPad looking thing in the center of what would be the dash.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Oh, I am interested. Would be perfect for my 150, I do about 100 miles a month in it.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
I took a ride in a friends Tesla Model 3 just yesterday. This was my first time in an all electric car. Man, that thing rips! It pinned my head to the headrest with some unbelievable acceleration. Strange going that fast and not hearing the roar of an angry engine. The technology in that car is unbelievable. Kind of weird not having any gauges in front of you. Instead, you have a huge iPad looking thing in the center of what would be the dash.
I know a couple people that have the Model 3's, but I haven't driven in one yet. They're really popular where I live. I see dozens of them every day. We even have a local used car dealer that only sells electric vehicles.
My coworker just bought one, and after all the rebates, he said it still cost about 40 grand CDN. They're likely much cheaper in the US. I think they're great if you only commute to work and don't have to drive too terribly far.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
A guy I work with has a Tesla, I think Model 3.  He had a Nissan Leaf before it,

He has about a 30 mile commute each way.  The Nissan couldn't get him to work and home again on a charge if he ran the heater enough to keep it warm inside in the winter (it was fine in the summer).   It also couldn't get him to his cabin (~150 miles).  The Tesla has no trouble with any of that.  He doesn't even have a charging station at his cabin.  Just plugging it into a standard 110 outlet after he gets there is enough to get him home.

He doesn't do much interstate travel, but when he has he says the Tesla doesn't take any more time, it just takes a different thought process.  He doesn't run the batteries all the way down, and doesn't bring them all the way to full charge.  This gives him about a 15 minute charge time at a supercharging site and still a lot more range than his bladder and/or stomach have.  So instead of looking for rest stops or restaurants he looks for charging stations.  And he says the car knows where they all are so they're easy to find.

Of course that's all in a car with maybe 4 people and luggage for a few days.  I don't think it would work so well for me in my motorhome towing my Bronco!

As to the electric crate motor, it's interesting that they are coming out.  But as long as I can still buy gasoline I can't imagine ever getting one.  I'm not saying I'll never buy an electric vehicle someday.  But I sure can't see putting an electric motor in a project vehicle.

And as a complete aside, Miriam-Webster defines "motor" as "one that imparts motion."  It defines "engine" as "a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion."  So calling a gasoline "engine" a "motor" is completely correct.  And for that matter, calling an electric "motor" an "engine" is also completely correct.  Both convert energy into force and motion and both make something move.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
I saw an article about that last week on reddit and immediately thought about putting one in the bull
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
The lithium and cobalt for those batteries are mined in 3rd world states by child labor.

I'd rather drive a 30yr-old Bricky or Bully than be seen in an electric vehicle.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I'd love to put one of these in a Ranger. Make what the electric ranger "should have been"
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This came out today regarding the Eluminator. I grabbed it from here.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Yep I saw that on the Ford fb page they posted it a few hours ago

Here are the other photos which I didnt see in that write up that Ford posted along with the ones that are shown above in higher resolution.

"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a really sweet installation.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Gary Lewis wrote
That's a really sweet installation.  
It is, I like the charge door as well but I probably would put the charge port where the OE filler door was just to make it look more OE.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's exactly what I was thinking.  The new Powerboost is said to have the battery under the bed, so why not put it there on one of these and then put the connector in the filler door?

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Totally agree!  Why do simple when so easy to do complicated.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

So what's the real price to go Electric in a '80's F-150

reamer
Ford announced today the motor is available for 3,900 with a harness....But what about the inverter, controller, power transfer, display, and charger? bet ya still close to 80K complete....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: So what's the real price to go Electric in a '80's F-150

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, we've been discussing that in the Ford Announces The Eluminator - Crate Electric Motor thread.  That link will get you to yesterday's conversation, but the thread started almost 3 months ago.

Can I move this thread/post there?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: So what's the real price to go Electric in a '80's F-150

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by reamer
Gary I agree that it could be moved in.

Eventually gubbmint will catch on that nobody wants to recycle electric vehicles, and start socking it to us on huge fees whenever they reach end of life.  Damaged Teslas sit in yards unwanted. Same in yurrup.

As a fireman, I could tell you how much water it takes to put out a Tesla fire, and the danger they pose to us.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.