classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fluid Capacities

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary and/or others, does the website have a resource for fluid capacities?  I looked but did not find it. Going to change the trans fluid/transfer case fluid and coolant this weekend.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fluid Capacities

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes.  We have the owner's guides.  Go to Documentation/Literature.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
That's awesome! You worked your tail off to input all that. Sorry I overlooked it, Gary. Thanks!!!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No problem.  I'm the research librarian here, and I know where I put things.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by Machspeed
John, another member point out to me a few weeks back that you DO NOT put Mercon/ Dextron V in out transfure cases. Something about eating the bronze parts. I had changed mine then drained it and put type F in it.

He Had a tec bulliten from MOTORCRAFT/ Ford to back it up with.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't have any bronze in my 1356, save a bushing in the back of the planetary.
But i still used Dex/Merc for fill instead of Merc-V.

I hope that fill is ~2 1/2 quarts because that's all I could get in there.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I often buy the Haynes manuals for my old stuff. I find the manuals really handy for stuff like fluid capacities and specs. I do find them fairly useless otherwise...lol, but for a quick reference on the basics they're handy.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Rembrant wrote
I often buy the Haynes manuals for my old stuff. I find the manuals really handy for stuff like fluid capacities and specs. I do find them fairly useless otherwise...lol, but for a quick reference on the basics they're handy.
Yep, just below is my Haynes Manual which, believe it or not, did not show my specific year in the fluid capacities.

Interesting is that the 86 Truck Ford Manual that Gary has posted here specifies Type H trans (C6 trans) fluid and my dipstick specifies Dexron II. Dexron is a GM fluid. From what I've read, Type H is long obsolete.

Here's an interesting read on ATF: http://http://martinlubricants.com/technical-service-bulletin-transmission-fluid-guide/

From my study, Dexron VI, a synthetic ATF is backwards compatible with previous Dexron generations and can be used. https://www.acdelco.com/parts/oils-fluids/gm-oe-dexron-vi-transmission-fluid 

So, I'm in a quandary, do I go with the Dexron VI for my C6 trans? I'm wanting to nurse this truck along for a few more years before I pull the motor and trans for rebuild.  

As to the transfer case, I have a NP208. And Steve, know that your above input is appreciated. The Ford manual recommends Dexron II. I have read that Type F and Dexron II are not compatible, which makes me question the Type F use. Wondering too if I can use the Dexron VI in the transfer case too.

Input appreciated!!!

John

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, I still have the owners manual for the Bronco. For the T case it said 2 1/2 qts and it said that if you couldent get MER/ DEX II that you could use F type in it.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Additionally, I found the following link from a company that rebuilds tranfer cases. Not sure how reputable they are, but they list suggested fluids for many different transfer cases. For my NP208, they list DexronIII or higher.

http://https://transfercase.parts/pages/fluid-suggestions-by-transfer-case-type

John

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I noticed you said you are using Mercon V in the transfer case. I changed my tranny and transfer case couple of weeks ago and I new that Mercon V was the replacement for Mercon. But i was doing some surfing and found this.
  https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us/home/our-products/lubricants/transmission-fluids/mercon-v-automatic-transmission-and-power-steering-fluids.html

Direct from Motorcraft. It says NOT to use Mercon V in transfer cases. Not sure why?

There is the link that was put up by Moose to show the tec bulliten From Motorcraft
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
This discution is actauly from your thread" fluids and such"
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My Zf says Type H on the fill tag

I have no idea what is "best" for your C6.
I always thought they were ok with a wide range of fluids (not incompatible ones, of course)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
And the ZF in my Super Duty says the same thing and it is behind a 7.3 IDI
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by old55pete
Steve, thought you might find this interesting. It supports your finding on the Mercon V for transmission cases.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Dexron+III+ATF&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dDexron%2bIII%2bATF%26FORM%3dVDMHRS&view=detail&mid=54D574B471801E50471E54D574B471801E50471E&&FORM=VDRVRV

Think I'll just stick with the Dexron II/III for both my transfer case and trans.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sure glad y'ouse guys have had this conversation.  I'm in the process of gathering the lubes to bring Big Blue back to life and need fluids for both the BW1345 t-case and the power steering system.  And I have several quarts of Amsoil Signature Series Multi-Vehicle ATF.  Looking at the back it is recommended for everything that uses Mercon, Mercon V, ESP-M2C166-H, Dexron III, and so many other things it makes me laugh.

So my first thought was I'd use it in the t-case.  Then I remembered this thread and called Amsoil where I was told not to use it in this t-case.  Instead to use their ATLQT Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Ok, so it isn't good for the t-case.  Maybe the power steering?  Nope, use their Type F Super Shift for my '85.  Oops, I have a 1995 E-350 Saginaw pump and Hydroboost system.  At that the line dropped.  

And, while I was typing this I recognized the ESP-M2C166-H and took a pic of the ZF5's label.  Yep, it calls for the same stuff.  Man, this is CONFUSING!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The old Zf website had the ZF-5 S42/47 troubleshooting manual and they list a HUGE array of compatible lubes, from gear oil to hydraulic fluid.

I'm pretty sure that Type H is on the tag because that is what Ford had for fill at the time..
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
There are literally hundreds of threads out there regarding this very subject and many are conflicting. Ultimately, I settled for Valvoline DEX/MERC for both my C6 Transmission and Tranfer case. For my newly replaced power steering pump, I chose Type F trans as directed by my owners manual. Because I'm so anal, the decision making for all that was a headache to say the least.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Just choose it and use it.

I can tell you from my Vermont trip that any type of lube is better than no lube!

When I first installed the Zf I changed a few times until the strawberry milkshake went away and then used RP Synchromax.

Type F in the Sag.

NAPA brand Dex/Merc in the transfer case because that's where I ordered the chain bearings and seals.

In the front and rear diffs I'm running synthetic 75-140.
I like it in winter.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
John, if you're so 'by the book' why was there any headache at all?
 Jim,