Floor shift steering column change to auto column?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
Assigned: 85lebaront2 at priority
(Normal)
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Floor shift steering column change to auto column?

jdfoto
I know that an 86 column will work in my 84.

I found a nice and tight 85 automatic column with tilt.  Mine is a floor shift with tilt.  Can I swap them out without any issues?

I'm hoping to use the auto column while I rebuild the manual one, but I don't want to spend the money only to find I can't use it.

Thanks!
Jason De Lane
1984 F150 XLT 4x4 4-speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Floor shift steering column change to auto column?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, you can do that.  Obviously you'll have the auto shifter sticking out, although it could be removed if you really care to.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jdfoto
Thank you.  And thanks for the quick response!

I was pretty sure it would work, but knew better than to spend money on 'pretty sure'.
Jason De Lane
1984 F150 XLT 4x4 4-speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome.  I think you can remove the shift lever by driving the pin out, but I've not done it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You can, some pins have a head on them and have to driven out toward the head. You will need to secure the shifter bowl in the Park position, or the lock will not come all the way back for key removal/accessory position.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Bill, I was just going to contact you about my 1985 f150 auto shifter. It has a lot of slop, couldn’t find info for a fix. Any ideas. The last one I changed out was in the early 60’s from Auto to standard in a 55 Ford Sunliner. CJ