First Drive Today

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First Drive Today

hubcityford
From what I see you are right, Motorcraft 2150. Hopefully I can try and get it done.
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Before you start on it, make sure the accelerator pump is bad.  In your pic the choke is wide open.  With the engine off and the choke open look down the throats of the carb and open the throttle.  You should see two strong streams of gas shoot into the carb down the throats.  If not, the accelerator pump is bad.

You'll want to buy a kit for the carb, but the kits are pretty universal.  You'll need to take that linkage off the pump, pull the 4 screws, and remove any material from the pump's diaphragm if it sticks to the carb or the cover.  Both gasket surfaces, the one on the carb and the one on the cover, need to be spotless.  And don't scratch them while cleaning them.

But there's a rubbery poppet valve inside the opening and it may be broken.  If so it'll need to be replaced.  I'm not sure, but I think it can be replaced w/o removing the carb.

We should talk through this before you get started.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
I took a look this morning and I have two streams coming in. Now the strong part I really have no idea but they were distinctive streams; however, it did not happen the first movement of throttle but on second movement.

Why would have my choke been open in my photo, I had driven earlier down the road “normally” and just parked and shut it off.

Also the more I read on accelerator pump I don’t see the relationship in my sputtering/shimmy in gear while idle?  I do realize too that each component can show different troubles.

I don’t want to do unnecessary repairs but would it be worth removing, cleaning and using kit on carburetor just for preventative maintenance? Or should I just adhere to If it ain’t broke don’t fix it?

If the weather doesn’t get too bad tomorrow a member of my extended family may come for Easter dinner who has extensive experience in rebuilding engines since he was a kid. I was hoping to get him to drive it and take a look at things to get his opinion too.

Thanks
Jeremy
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You should have had two streams on the first move of the throttle.  But, I'm not sure what you mean by "second movement".  Do you mean you opened the throttle and nothing happened, then closed it and opened it again and got two streams?  If so, that's a problem.

The accelerator pump should not cause a problem while idling.  Not to say that it can't if it has a leak, but it shouldn't.  However, a malfunctioning accelerator pump will certainly cause a problem as you start to open the throttle.

The issue is that that air has less mass than gasoline.  So when you open the throttle air moves more quickly than gasoline and for a brief time you have too much air and too little gasoline and the engine doesn't want to run on it.  So the accelerator pump is there to force a spritz of gas in as you open the throttle to keep the air/fuel ratio in a range where the engine will continue to run.  Then, when you quit moving the throttle the gasoline catches up and there's no need for the pump - until you open the throttle more.

As for the choke, it may have been open because the engine was warm.  Or it may have been open because the throttle was up against the fast idle cam.  But if the engine is starting properly when cold let's not worry about that for the moment.

Anyway, I wouldn't tear into the carb quite yet.  Let's see what your family member has to say.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
Family friend did not show up for Easter dinner due to the storms in South Miss on Sunday.

I took the truck out today to haul away an old mattress and it ran really well. It may be that it’s just working out the oldness (if that’s a word).

I am mad however that my fuel gauge is not working after new sending unit and tank installation. I made sure that it worked prior to installation and compared movement to old unit but for some reason not working now. I thought I got the wire plugged in snugly but it was such a tight area working and was only going on feel.

If it gets the shakes and shimmy’s again I will let you know. But seems alright now.

Thanks
Jeremy
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's progress, and as Jim says, "Progress is good!"  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I think driving vehicles or using machinery helps, sitting is not good IMO.

I haven’t believed a Ford fuel gauge until 1992 and newer!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona