classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fire Extinguishers

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know we've discussed fire extinguishers, but it doesn't appear we have a thread specific to them. So here 'tis since I need one for Big Blue.

I think I have a 2 1/2 pound one in the shop, but I'm reading that those are usually too small to do very much so I really ought to have a 5 pound unit. And I know that years ago when my mower caught fire the 2 1/2 pound one I had just slowed the fire down, but didn't come close to stopping it.

In doing my research I ran across the Element Fire Extinguisher. It is said to run 50 seconds as opposed to the 9 - 11 seconds a 5 pound unit does, and leaves no mess. Do any of you know anything about them?

Here's Jay Leno learning about them:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fire Extinguishers

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Out to the shop now and I discovered two things.  First, the 5 pound extinguisher I have in the shop needs recharged.  

Second, a 5 pounder is a nice fit in the cab corner, and could surely be easily attached to the end of the storage unit.  So that's a reasonable option, and while it is initially less expensive than the Element unit, the latter never needs to be recharged and obviously these units do.

Here are a couple of pics showing how it would fit.  What are your thoughts?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That is interesting! I’d like to compare that Element fire extinguisher to others like I’ve done in fire training.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
grumpin wrote
That is interesting! I’d like to compare that Element fire extinguisher to others like I’ve done in fire training.
Yes it is interesting and would have been nice to see it in action putting out a real fire.

Now one thing to know about the dry chemical units is when installed in a car or truck as you drive down the road the vibrations pack the powder.
Now when you go to use it all you get is the blast of air and no chemical because it is 1 big solid packed block. That is why every so often you should remove the unit and shake it up to break up that solid block.

I do have to say I did buy a dry chem extinguisher and have not 1)removed it from the box, 2) have not shake it since I put it in the truck over a year now.

I should do that later and check the 2 I have in my garage.
I also could not find any 5lb in local stores guess you must have to go through a fire prevention store?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - Amazon has the 5# dry chemical extinguishers as well as the Elements one.

As for the Elements extinguishing a fire, how about this:

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I did Google the element and saw that and a few other videos on it.
I tell you I cant see buying a 5# for a car / truck because of room to store it, the vibration of packing the chemical and now not for the garage because it can lose psi and be useless when needed.

I do really like that extinguisher.
Time to talk to the wife and have her order a few, spread over a few months, to put in the cars, garage and house.

Thanks for pointing it out
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hmm... Not a big fire and he had to get close, IMO.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dane - He did get close, that's true.  But it worked.

Dave - I think I'm with you.  The lack of packing the powder, meaning it'll always be ready, and the fact that you don't have to take it in to re-charge has a lot of appeal to me.

Still on the fence and looking for input, but I'm thinking of the Element E50 and the Quick Fist Heavy Duty Mount

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
This post was updated on .
I was also thinking the E50 and the trucks ext. will come into the house till it needs service then get a E50 for it too.

I am sure the 2 I have in the garage are still good but need to check to make sure.
I have a 5# by the door from outside going in and the other just inside the door to the garage from the work room.
I would like to have one between the 2 bay doors close to the far side of the garage, not that I do any work over there, but if working just outside the bay door it is closer than the door to the work room.
Dave ----

update: my 2# in the garage is dead so only have the 5#
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Wow, this is a topic I almost posted on the other day....Fire Extinguishers. After seeing videos of our trucks going up in flames, I have worked to make sure mine is not one of them. This began with the 3G swap. Not sure I like the current fuel line arrangement so may be messing with that too. May post on that in a bit.

What's your thoughts, Gary? Which route you think you'll be taking?

BTW, have a good place to put it now. This behind the seat organizer is built "Ford Tough"....LOL!!!! Temp install now, as I have a piece of carpet I want to put on the back of the cab.

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - The storage unit looks great!  You do good work.  

I think I'm going with an Element extinguisher.  Granted it is more expensive than a 5# dry unit, but you don't have to recharge it and it doesn't pack down.  So in the long run it'll be less expensive and always ready to go.  Plus it runs ~5 times longer than the dry unit and doesn't leave a mess.

As for where to put it, the end of the storage unit right by the door looks to be an ideal spot.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Using a road flare to put out a gasoline fire.....

50 years ago these were sold for putting out chimney (creosote) fires.

Edit: still sold.
$9 at Amazon....  

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Chimfex-Chimney-Suppressent-3412/dp/B002RRIKT2/ref=asc_df_B002RRIKT2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312123596780&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13037458292767031742&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003379&hvtargid=pla-496843733012&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=61495041029&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312123596780&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13037458292767031742&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003379&hvtargid=pla-496843733012
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Well that’s interesting. Good find Jim! Glad you remembered!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
While not exactly the same, obviously the same concept, if not the same chemistry.
Leave it to a pyro/propellant geek to make the connection.    

These were off the market for a while.
The factory had burned down.

So, deprive the flames of oxygen. Replace with already combusted gasses.
It's basically EGR.

No handle. More flames.
I'm pretty sure the Chimfex use zinc/sulphur which was a popular amateur rocket propellant in the post WWII era.
Though it is surely inhibited, and the newer version has a good amount of cellulose to create more smoke.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Still doing research. Here's another review, and I'll set it to start where he actually tests the thing, bypassing all of the discussion about his previous fire - the ceramic coating of his headers.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I like his idea of keeping it in the door pocket.
FAR easier to get to than buckled in the corner, behind the seat.
(of course where it ends up in the event of an accident -when you might really need it- is another issue)

And, nice stable too.
There's something about mid-engined Italian sports cars and poor fuel systems....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My door pockets are the carpeted ones with elastic, so the thing wouldn't be seen.  While that may seem good, I think it is important for everyone to know where it is.

So I like the corner storage better.  But I don't want it "buckled" in.  I like the snap-in holder that it comes with, although I think I'll add one so it is held towards both ends.  That way you can reach in and grab it in the middle.  And since I'll have many things stored behind the seat that will be frequently accessed the extinguisher will be seen often.

As for the stable, yes it is nice.  And he does say something about the Element being from Italy and Ferraris and Lambos having more fires.  Kinda like there's a reason the Italians came up with a better fire extinguisher.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have a ridgid Bricknose door pocket on my driver's side.
But it's kinda deep.

I meant to say that the (admittedly plastic) latch on my fire extinguisher is fiddly.

Since you're mr overkill you might consider one on each side. 💡

10 steps closer.....depending, and it's always good to have backup.
But idk how much height the inverter takes up over there.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's my worry - get the extinguisher out of sight and have to rummage for it.  Which is why I like the corner. om the end of the storage unit.  Nothing will be obscuring it from being seen, even when just opening the door.  In fact, I don't think you'd have to tilt the seat forward as it looks like it'll be accessible through the opening - something that wouldn't be true of a 5 lb extinguisher.

Yes, the plastic latches can be fiddly.  I've spent a while getting the one on the boat to latch, and wondered how easily it would come off when it finally did latch.

And a 2nd one might be handy, but there's not much room in that corner due to the inverter.  I'll see when I get the first one in if it might fit.  At least then I'll know.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
That's a real interesting find, Jim. Quite the savings. The benefits of the Element include no debris after extinguishing and can be stored in a variety of environments. According to their website, it's not really affected by large changes in temperature. Here in Oklahoma, we can see temps above 100 and below freezing. Wonder if that is the case with this chimney extinguisher???
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner