Finding the Electrical Gremlin. Help!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Finding the Electrical Gremlin. Help!

axe2011
Good morning, all! I am still fighting with my 1986 F150 w/ EFI 302 in it. Since my last post I have "figured" out the injector issue, but I still have a miss/lurch under load. Its noticeable when you first start the truck and it is revving higher than normal, and when the AOD downshifts. Recently I have noticed that if I am cruising along at 55 and I push the horn in quick succession (I found this out of frustration) it will also create the lurch/miss. This leads me to believe it's an electrical issue. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Not sure how the horn would affect the trucks' ability to run, but maybe someone out here knows! Thanks, in advanced.
1986 F150 RWD Automatic 5.0 EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Finding the Electrical Gremlin. Help!

Littlebeefy
This is interesting. I don't have an answer but I'm following this one.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by axe2011
I think you have a ground problem.  (That's my go-to answer when bizarre things happen, and this one is certainly that.)

Looking at the 1986 EVTM I see that the computer (ECA) is only grounded via G208 and G710.  G208 is "near throttle position solenoid" and G710 is at the "left hand side of dash panel".

What's odd is that on the page of the EVTM (Pg 60) showing the EFI wiring it clearly shows that it grounds at G701, but on the page that is purported to show all of the grounds, below, I don't see the ECA.  In fact, the same holds true for the horn - I see it going to G701 on the horn page (Page 108) but not the ground page - although maybe I missed it?

Anyway, if you have a ground problem then honking the horn could easily cause the ECA to do bizarre things.  And it is easy to have a ground problem.  First, there's only one wire grounding the cab - the ground strap from the engine to the firewall.  Second, G701 could have come loose.  And on and on.

So I'd start by checking to make sure the grounds are good.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

axe2011
Well, I was touching the upper and got a zap today randomly. Looked around the motor and couldn’t see a block to firewall ground so I just ran some wire to test it. I can now down shift with no cutting out! It still has a cut when I push the horn…but if I don’t honk then it’s fine. Getting closer!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Progress!  Yes, grounding makes a big difference.  But you may still have a problem with the ground on the firewall near the radio.  And it might not be just the horn since so many other things use that as a ground.  So the next thing I'd do is to check that ground.  Make sure it isn't rusty, and maybe remove the screw, clean both the connector and the firewall with sandpaper, and then coat them with anti-seize compound before reinstalling.

Oh, and check to see that the battery to engine ground connections are good.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

axe2011
Yeah, I believe there is still something with grounds to be figured out. When you first start the truck it sputters a bit and then smooths out and there are not issue after it idles down. No sputtering while driving. Sometimes when I shift to park it will idle way down and then recover. I thought it was maybe the idle air but I changed that part and no luck.