classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fender flares

Andre
All,

Made the first 1500 miles with the new engine, all is running great on the 1982 Bronco, still struggling with some wiring issue's in regards to radio and wipers, that wont shut down when ignition switched off, but that will be resolved soon. As the Bronco has come to a complete project, started a new one with the 1969 Ford Ranchero, things are moving quick on this one, needed an engine, transmission etc, but found all of it, stripped, cleaned and sprayed, so just installed, only left to connect the wiring, DSII, and ready to fire up for summer.

As per subject, I was pulled off by our local law enforcement, mainly as I drove from the shop to the nearest gas station( again) without the seat belt on, as they drove a civilian car I did not notice until they pulled up behind me at the gas station. Anyway, they admired the car and what was done to it, but had some issue with the tires sticking out that far, I made them believe that the car was build like this, and passed all tests, and they took this for granted. We did had to do something to pass the tests, but they had no idea, so all went fine. But it would be better to have some proper fender flare, especially at front, as you only need to drive through a small puddle, and the entire care is covered all over the side. But as the front is sticking out more that the rear, I wonder if anyone know about a set that is made this way. Nicest would be to have 2 inch at front, and 1 inch in the rear, they are both a little more, but I dont want to end up like some Venezuelan Ford Explorer I once owned, where the tires are like 2 inch inside the fender flare.
I noticed some online, but they are mostly 3 inch or 3.5 inches all around, anyone any suggestions where to look?

Thanks in advance.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fender flares

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's about how much the tires stick out on Big Blue, both in front and in the rear, so I understand what you mean about the entire truck being covered.  But I don't know about fender flare sizes as I've not researched them, so I'm reading along with you to learn.

Anyway, glad the Bronco is doing so well!  That's a really good feeling, I'm sure.

And the Ranchero looks great.  It is coming together quickly.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Those flares look great!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, they do!  Given what I found out about the dirt on Big Blue, I'm thinking they'd look good on him.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Thank you, I know about those flares, as I order about 99% of my parts through Broncograveyard, but was afraid that on the back the tires would be far inside kind of looking silly. Might not be to bad I realize, in regards to other flares I have found. Problem in Europe is, ordering is easy, paying the 100% duty on shipment and taxes, but if they don't look right, I am stuck with them.

Anyone bought those and have other pictures of them, looking from the back passed the side of the car.

Thanks
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
My f250 came with similar flares when I bought it and there is a lot of rust underneath them.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you think that was due to the flares or they used the flares to cover up the rust?

I ask because I have some rust started and have thought about the flares to hide some of it.

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
I use the Bushwacker flares on mine, lets me run 37" tall tires with the stock 250 suspension.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I like the look of your truck!

Those fender flares look good!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
I'm realizing now how outdated that pic is lol, doesn't have the new side steps or headlights, still has the blue Ford emblem too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I don’t know which comes first… the rust or the flares but I will say there is a huge correlation between them… and it may be both (a cause and a band-aid). For this reason I don’t particularly care for the look, as I have come to equate flares with wheel arch cancer. I’ve had guys from the rust belt advise me to *not* use the factor aluminum wheel opening trim for the same reason, but in my climate I’m not too worried about it.

In your case, if you like the look, they are probably a decent alternative to sheet metal repair as long as steps are taken to stop the rust before putting them on. I would also consider how they look in conjunction with your lower molding and trim arches. Some brands may fit/look better with this trim than others.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - I can see that it would be easy for mud and other debris to build up behind flares, which is why I asked the question.  I already have rust going on in/under the body putty that is in there, so sure don't want to exacerbate that situation.

As for looks, I'm torn.  I think these would look good, but don't know:

Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
I still think that they would look the best on my Bronco, the part number is 20902-01, but as mentioned, it will come close to $1000,- to buy, ship and taxes.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think they would look great on your Bronco!  They would blend right in but make it legal.  And special.

On the possibility of having rust, I think you can prevent that by doing a few things up front and one thing long term.  First, when you drill holes to mount the flares paint the holes.  Then use a sealer on the screws to ensure water can't get to the metal.  And, when you get them on spray the seams with something like FluidFilm.  Long term you should flush the joint between the flares and the body with lots of water whenever you wash the truck.

But I seriously doubt you are going to be driving through muck, much less offroading, so the amount of gunk that gets up under there should be minimal.