24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fan shroud 81 F100 300 six

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The dog ate your homework!?!?!  

As you get an understanding of what shrouds fit what radiators, perhaps we could capture the info?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
We have success!

1981 F100 w/4.9 300 six and factory AC.

Parts used:
Rock Auto
Radiator SPECTRA PREMIUM CU558  27-1/2" Core Length w/ Air Conditioning or Heavy Duty Cooling
AC condenser APDI/PRO 7013605 With Factory AC

NPD
Radiator Shroud  Fan Shroud Repro F5TZ-8146-C #F-8146-18 FOR 1995-1996 Ford Truck

So I first tried the new shroud on the truck with the old radiator and for the most part it looked like it would work as the fan opening and mounting tabs were in the right places but.....

I then pulled the old radiator and tried the shroud on it to see how it would mount and found the shroud did not fit close to the core.

Then tried it on the new radiator with the same results.

My brother that was helping said to trim the lip on either side of the shroud so it would fit past the tanks on the sides.
Well that was the ticket as it now sit close to the core and was then able to use all the stock factory mounting points. Sorry I did not get a picture of this not in the truck.

Here it is installed, I had to tweak the upper radiator mounts a little as the tanks were a little wider but the bottom mounts fit fine.

Now before doing the radiator & shroud I installed the AC condenser.
After reading many posts on the new ones not fitting and trying to get a Ford factory one was even harder I sucked it up and got what I could.
The 2 posts I seen on making it fit was to re-bend the mounting brackets or space it out at the bottom to clear the radiator support.

I went the easy way, space the bottom out. I also had to space the center grille support out a little to clear it but all looks good.
I still need to get longer bolts yet but it should work just fine.

I did the paper pull test on the condenser at idle and it held tight and you can feel the air flow.
If I find air is not being pulled thru the condenser I will use foam pipe insulation to fill the gap as needed.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!!  Not only does it look good, but it should work quite well.  

And thanks for the details on the part numbers.  It should be easy for someone to follow in your steps.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Congrat's!!!  Not only does it look good, but it should work quite well.  

And thanks for the details on the part numbers.  It should be easy for someone to follow in your steps.
It does work well on the test I did both a paper to the condenser, it held there and I placed my hand in the center of the condenser and I felt air flow so thinking all is good now.

I was pretty surprised it went together so well and easy.
I was sure I would have to cut both of the $15.50 shrouds up to make 1 to fit / work.

I had to look up who I got the parts from and the numbers as I knew down the road some one would ask and the gray matter just does not hold all that information in as it once did LOL
I hope it will help others.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100