1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Factory front mounded spare tire carrier [D4TZ-1440-A] - NOS

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those were pretty standard add-ons back in the 70's.  I toyed with adding one to our '72 F250 but don't think I did.  The issue was that with a 9 1/2' camper and the necessary relocation of the bumper back 1 1/2' the spare tire was so far forward that you'd have a really hard time getting to it if you needed to do so.

But the tire in front of the radiator looked like a good way to interrupt the air flow to the radiator, so I debated.  I think in the end I rolled the dice and hoped I'd not need the spare, and I think I won as I don't remember using it.

However, I do remember the little Coleman 12v compressor pumping its guts out trying to inflate the wide tires I'd replaced the ones on the split rims in the rear with.  We played several hands of canasta while it worked away.  Had the spare been on the front it would have been far faster to change it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Those are cool! Had one on my 1974 when I bought it. I had a truck camper and that grunting 390 never got hot. I worried about it too.

The gentleman I bought it from had a truck camper on it. He set that truck up really nice.

Little pricey or I would get it for good measure!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I remember seeing those still on trucks when I was a kid in the 90s, but most of those trucks or at least the tire carriers are long gone and I rarely see them now.