Exterior Mirrors

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exterior Mirrors

broboyle
Came across these this AM, potentially interested for my 1981 Bronco. Any way to distinguish if these are OEM versus a cheap aftermarket / LMC?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165255350472?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
-- Charlotte, NC --
1984 F250 6.9 IDI
1980 Bronco 302
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Exterior Mirrors

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think they look like OEM, and the advert says "A nice pair of unusual OEM mirrors..."
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
This post was updated on .
broboyle,

What is your plan for your truck? Are you looking only for NOS [new old stock]? Are you only interested in the early more angular style of factory mirrors?

Edit: I just noticed that the link you provided is to a set of used mirrors, not NOS.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Used at a lower price if the later aero head mirrors are okay with you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313809183891?hash=item49107c2493:g:0wAAAOSw-2JhybwP

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
In reply to this post by broboyle
Does LMC advertise their version as OEM? I can state their mirrors will start rusting on the underside within the first year. They also didnt move (supposed to collapse towards the door panel, but instead would just try to take the door panel with it!).

I got tired of playing that game and so found some mint NOS for $250 (pair). My truck is in the shop, but as i recall, the difference between NOS and LMC (in my case) was the nut used to mount the extender to the main bracket. I think the original ford nut was rounded (could be vise versa) so check out some original mirrors and see if that holds true for you. My NOS also close/collapse like the good lord intended! lol.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
^Correct.

The mirrors in the original Ebay link are most likely either not OEM, or a mix and match of new and used. The OEM "Swing Away Two Position" mirrors have three mounting points at the top and three at the bottom, making a total of six mounting holes for each mirror. They also have a rounded nut holding the extendable arm to the frame. The mirrors in the Ebay link have a hex head nut, and only four mounting points.

LMC sells a reproduction of the "Swing Away Two Position" mirrors, and although visually they are VERY similar, they do not function well and are hard to move.
Reply | Threaded
|

broboyle
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
I would prefer NOS or used as long as they are OEM and the early more angular style as they would be period correct for my 1981. I had a set of angular but the passenger was broken when I purchased the vehicle.
-- Charlotte, NC --
1984 F250 6.9 IDI
1980 Bronco 302
Reply | Threaded
|

broboyle
In reply to this post by salans7
Thank you for the response! I was doing a comparison online but LMC only has a single photo. I would hate to spend the coin on remakes that would be worthless in a year versus a true OEM that would be period correct and quality.
-- Charlotte, NC --
1984 F250 6.9 IDI
1980 Bronco 302
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Here is one single position NOS mirror currently available:

E0TZ-17696-E

https://www.rearcounter.com/E0TZ-17696-E-parts439216.html
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Mirror head, I believe. NOS currently available.

https://www.rearcounter.com/EOTZ-17723-A-parts115378.html
Reply | Threaded
|

broboyle
I reached out, thank you for the research and help!
-- Charlotte, NC --
1984 F250 6.9 IDI
1980 Bronco 302
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Here is a picture of both mirror assemblies side by side. On the left you have an OEM mirror, and on the right, you have a reproduction from LMC. They are very close, but the LMC version has a different style nut holding the extension arm to the frame, and the finish on the angled side of LMC mirror head is a little "flatter" than the OEM. In other words, I can see my reflection in the angled side of the OEM mirror, but the angled side of the LMC mirror is cloudy. You also can barely adjust the position of the frame on the LMC mirror.

Reply | Threaded
|

broboyle
This is exactly the answer I was hoping for, a side by side comparison! Thank you very much.
-- Charlotte, NC --
1984 F250 6.9 IDI
1980 Bronco 302