7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exhaust Update

Machspeed
Administrator
This post was updated on .
A few weeks back I was posting questions in regard to mufflers and such. I had been running some Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and while I liked the sound idling, disliked the drone, and hated it under excelleration. As Gary said, they are "flatulent sounding", and indeed they were. Anyway, ultimately settled on a couple Flowmaster Flofx mufflers. These are Flowmaster's version of Magnaflow, only much cheaper. After examining them at the muffler place, was pretty impressed and decided to go with them.

I have shortie headers sending exhaust through 2.25" tubing, into an X-pipe, through the two Flofx mufflers, and exiting through 18" by 3.5" tips behind both wheels. I had the exhaust guy use V-Clamps so that, if need be, I could pull the exhaust apart. This, at the suggestion of the exhaust guy, whom I was very impressed with. I did not have exhaust tips upon completion of the system and when I fired it up, I was a little disappointed. The exhaust guy laughed and said, "wait till the tips go on". That said, I'm amazed at how the tips alone can make such a difference in the exhaust sound. I've attached a couple of videos, one without tips and one with, but don't think they do actual justice in the true sound, especially since I did not rev the engine. Anyway, real pleased with this setup.....nice sound, no drone, perfect for an old guy.

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Exhaust Update

grumpin
Wow! I’m surprised at the difference. I didn’t think it would be that noticeable on a video on my ipad.

Sounds good!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Yeah, it's crazy isn't it. I told Gary about this, and he asked me to post it up.

The exhaust guy told me that the sound would have been even deeper had I gone with 4" tips but I really didn't want to go that bid.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Looks great and sounds great John! I love the tips, and the exit angles on each side. Well done.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I, too, am amazed at the difference.  And the way you shot the videos is perfect as I can stop one and start the other to hear the difference.  For instance, at about 56 seconds you are on the left rear and I can go back and forth.  Wow!

Might have to do that to Big Blue!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Very nice, John!
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed