Exhaust Questions 86 straight Six

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exhaust Questions 86 straight Six

tanman
I am about to put these headers on. What are these extra adapters for? I feel like I should go ahead and attach them now.

Also, if anyone wants to chime in with how to complete the exhaust, it would be appreciated.

I’m thinking I will use two flexible tubes to get from header to straight pipes to mufflers and just stop at rear axle.

I don’t have welding gear so I will have to clamp everything up until I can get her to a shop.

Thanks in advance as always!
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Exhaust Questions 86 straight Six

tanman
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The adapters are what the exhaust system is connected to.  Your exhaust shop will use them.

As for how to do it, I told the exhaust shop what I wanted - dual exhaust with a crossover between the two.  And dual mufflers.  The shop took it from there as they do that all the time.

So that's my suggestion - let the shop design it for you.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
In reply to this post by tanman
Let us know how they do, most people recommend the EFI manifold over those.  As for muffler I've always felt a tractor muffler from Tractor Supply is the right answer on the 300's
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Muffler wise, a decent quality OE replacement isn't too shabby and flows well. At least flows a lot better than the tiny tin can some loser slapped on my 84. Killed my MPG, too. Much better with the AP unit that replaced it.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
What intake & carb are you going to be running?
If stock I cant see running headers but thats me.

Also your truck lowered? If so how low will the headers hang down?
Do they come close to the factory starter to heat it up?
What are you doing to heat the intake being you dont have the exh bolted to it?

I run EFI manifolds with the factory intake & carb as I wanted to be able to go into any auto parts stores for parts and it look factory stock.

When you go the headers installed take a few pictures, we like pictures!
Dave ----

ps: no I dont hate headers, they have there place.
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100