Engine will not shut down

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Engine will not shut down

JohnC
I have made no changes to the truck recently.  I cleaned and lubed the starter a year ago.
My issue is that sometimes now, I turn the key off and the engine still runs (not dieseling).  I try the key several times and then I pop the clutch to kill it.
Switch, starter, or something else?
Thanks.
John, central Iowa
GramaJo - 1986 F-150 2wd 300, 4-speed OD, 8' box, 3.08 with traction-loc added,
60+k, 2nd owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Engine will not shut down

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are sure it isn't dieseling?  If so, then I'd try pulling the wires off the coil and see if it stops.  (I'm assuming you have the horse shoe connector that will let you slide the connections off.)

And if that kills it you probably have an ignition switch problem.  My guess is that your switch isn't aligned quite right and that the cold has set the grease up so the switch doesn't come all of the way back to Off.

The alignment process is outlined on the Ignition Switch tab at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition.  But you'll want to clean and lube the switch as you do it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JohnC
The engine has been running well so I do not expect the dieseling.  I will read you documentation.  The only issue with the starter I found is that it spun the bushing at the brush end of the starter.
John, central Iowa
60+k, 2nd owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
X2 ^
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnC
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I cleaned the starter components and replaced the bushing.
I removed and cleaned the ignition switch.  I aligned it.
I replaced the solenoid (after tapping on it).
All is good.  The engine starts when I want and stops as it should.
John, central Iowa
60+k, 2nd owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  Glad to see that.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI