Emissions deletion

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Emissions deletion

Bullnose Gator
I need to change my valve cover gaskets and since there is emissions junk in the way, I figured now would be a good time to yank it all out.

I haven't found anything in the documentation that explains how, please let me know if I'm overlooking it.  I think I can remove the smog pumps and everything attached to them with no problems, but I don't know what to do with the part that attaches to the engine on both sides. Is there a how to anyone can point me to?

20210718_132755.jpg

20210718_132800.jpg

20210718_132807.jpg

20210718_132825.jpg

Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Emissions deletion

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We don't have a how-to on removing the emissions equipment.  There are several reasons for that, one of which is that removing it isn't legal, so telling you how to do that on a static page on the website might be a huge red flag.

Another is that there are way too many different systems used on these trucks to have a cookie-cutter approach to it.  Some trucks have no computer.  Some have a computer that controls the ignition timing and carb.  And some have a computer that controls the EFI.  And each of those different systems requires different changes.

Having said that, there are some standard things, and your 460 is one of the easier ones to discuss:

EGR: This system doesn't use any power, so there's no advantage in removing it.  But if you do you should have the advance curve in the distributor modified as the vacuum advance may cause pinging w/o EGR.

Air Injection Reaction: This is the system with air pumps that inject air into the exhaust and/or catalytic converter.  This system also doesn't use much power and helps tame the exhaust.  But if you want to remove it you'll need to plug where the air goes into the engine and exhaust.

Vapor Collection: You should have two vapor canisters under the battery that tie into the fuel tank vents, and then a valve arrangement that allows vacuum to pull the vapors into the carb and burn them.
 And since it doesn't use any power at all I'd leave it.

Does that help?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Yes, very helpful. There's no emissions requirements in Florida, so I'm not worried about any illegality, but it sounds like removing it may open a can of worms I don't want. If I leave it in and any of the components fail at some point in the future what issues would that cause and would it be better to fix them or remove it all at that point and make the necessary adaptations? That's a broad question, I know, but being ignorant of the system i don't know how to ask more specifically. Thanks, again.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Bullnose Gator wrote
Yes, very helpful. There's no emissions requirements in Florida, so I'm not worried about any illegality, but it sounds like removing it may open a can of worms I don't want. If I leave it in and any of the components fail at some point in the future what issues would that cause and would it be better to fix them or remove it all at that point and make the necessary adaptations? That's a broad question, I know, but being ignorant of the system i don't know how to ask more specifically. Thanks, again.
Its not so much as if there is or isnt emission testing in your region it has to do with the fact its illegal to remove emission systems in the first place regardless of if you have to undergo emission testing or not.

Its one of the things I questioned on antique vehicles ie vehicles that are 25 years and older.  Many of these vehicles are still required by law to have the emission systems installed and in many cases those pieces are obsolete and cant be found anymore.

Its why for my truck I am gutting the emission systems but I am retaining the original parts in the off chance they try to give me hell for removing it which I dont think so cause 9 out of 10 state inspectors dont care.

But for removal of emission systems you will have to tune other aspects as they are tuned to compensate for the emission systems.  For example you remove the converters you have to disconnect the air injection system unless you enjoy hearing a loud exhaust back fire when you chop the throttle at speed resulting in the air in the exhaust allowing the HC to ignite.  EGR removal for example will require a timing curve tune on the distributor as well for example.

To do it right its a bit more in depth than just simply pulling systems off.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Bullnose Gator
One thing I will add is, if you remove it, it would be great to hang onto it in case someone in say California is trying to register their vehicle and needs parts to pass the state requirements.

You could give it or sell it to someone in need.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I second Grumpin on that, when I converted Darth to MAF/SEFI I ended up selling all the stuff to a fellow who had purchased a 1986 F250 that all the emission stuff was missing from. I'm still not sure that someone hadn't stuck a 429 in it because his had a 2 barrel carb on it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
In reply to this post by grumpin
All great input, guys, I really appreciate it. Sounds like I'm keeping it for now, but if I do end up pulling it I will definitely offer it up to anyone in need. I've learned very quickly how difficult it can be to find certain parts for these beauties. I already have a section of my garage set aside for everything I replace just in case I (or anyone else) needs a part, nut, or bolt that may not be available in the future. Thanks for bearing with me, as I'll certainly have many more ignorant posts to come! Lol
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Just to add my 2 cents.  As you alll know, all emissions on Brutus with the exception of the cats has been removed, some of it by me, some of it rusted off and fell off in the late 80's.  Cant speak for the 460, but have done it on my 4.9, but like i said, the cats are still in place.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
460s did not get catalytic converters until 1988 when the EFI models started. That is why dual smoke grinders (air pumps) and probably 6 - 8 feet of vacuum harness. The bonus is a very good, free flowing exhaust system.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413