11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Electrical help needed

Onetincan
Hiya all

Hope this kinda post is welcomed.

I have a 1984 f250 351w, with nothing on ignition. Replaced the ignition switch, ignition, starter solenoid/relay. I can jump the starter to get the motor turning but no ignition. Can anyone point me in any directions to test anything?

This poor truck is pretty redneck fixed and I'm trying to restore it a bit out of that redneck shape haha
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Electrical help needed

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As said last night, I'm guessing you didn't "calibrate" the ignition switch when you replaced it.  Go to the Ignition Switch tab on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and you'll find the instructions from the factory shop manual.

When not properly adjusted they don't always pull all the way in when you turn the key, so the truck won't start.  Or they might not turn all the way off.  But the adjustment procedure will fix that - assuming that's the problem.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Well it seems that you jumped the starter relay/ solenoid and it turned over. Would it NOT turn over with the key? If not  then re cal the switch
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Onetincan
What transmission is behind this 351w?

1984 with an auto trans will have a Neutral Safety Switch (Normally open, closed when in Park or Neutral). Manual trans will have a Clutch Lockout Switch (Normally open, closed when clutch depressed).

Both can block power from getting to the start relay/solenoid.

On manual trans trucks, there are still two wires in the harness than run down under the truck to the transmission (but there is a jumper installed, closing the circuit). My 1984 had this, under the cab along the frame.

Is this thing an auto with a really sloppy shifter by any chance?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Had the same problem after I reinstalled a rebuilt steering column. It was the alignment on the ignition switch, exactly what Gary described.

If it is a manual, it could be the clutch safety switch. That doohickey has piece that can slide forward and back and if it has slipped far enough it will not close the circuit on the safety switch when you push the clutch in. You can find it behind your headlights switch. If it is in the wiring for that thing, I want to say it's light blue with a red stripe (check that on the EVTM). The thing is, it routes for both transmissions on the factory harness (Ford just terminates in a jumper on the unused side). If you aren't able to get continuity on that wire, you will need to check both places.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And just FYI the clutch safety can be jumpered with a spare fuse.
The blades seem to fit the plug as if it were made for it. (though this shouldn't be a permanent solution)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
testing purposes only
Reply | Threaded
|

Onetincan
Got the thing running but now I can only get to reverse, after that the steering column binds up and wants to twist almost as if something is obstructing it. I can't find anything

its an automatic with the column shifter
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like the column linkage is out of sync with the transmission's linkage.  If I remember correctly you can loosen a bolt on the linkage and put the column in Park and put the transmission in Park and then tighten the bolt.

BUT!  Make sure the truck isn't going roll when you take the tranny out of Park.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Onetincan
SUCCESs, dont know what fixed it but went on a test drive to only blow an oil pressure gauge line

Goo meee woooo
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I think that's progress.  One more layer of the onion peeled.