Electrical Issues - 84 F250

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
100 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Electrical Issues - 84 F250

swampedout
Right, Its stranded wire that was just shoved in there, so Im assuming it wasnt making good contact.

The red wire is power for an aftermarket tach. Ive replaced that setup with a real fuse tap for now.

Its a very minor victory but Ill take it!
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout

Anyone know what this is for? Connectors come up behind the middle seat.

And this? Alarm?

Im still plugging away on these wires. Pulled wire looms for:
The Holley Sniper
GV Overdrive
Trailer Brakes
And a couple other strays

The Overdrive and Brakes are hopefully going back in some day. Trailer brakes first. Its still a mess but working on elimination.

Rear tank stopped working and theres still a drain somewhere...
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'd assume the connector in your hand is for the seatbelt warning buzzer.

I have no idea what that is on the back wall of the cab.
None of that wiring looks factory to me.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by swampedout
I'm with Jim - the one in your hand is probably the seatbelt wiring, with a BR/LB wire and a BK wire.  The other isn't factory so we can't tell from here.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
I guess the previous owner didnt like wearing his seatbelt, the connector was unplugged. Thanks for the tip.

The black box is going in the wire pile as soon as I can trace the wires under the carpet.

Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout

Looks like my tach was getting too many amps and overheated. Its been performing weird. Took the cover off and saw the old smoke signal. I wasnt really planning in digging into it. I just wanted to tune the carb a bit...

Ive got a standalone tach I tune my chainsaws with, Ill have to see if it does 8 cyls...

Now shopping for a new tach...
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yeah, I think the smoke really got out this time.  But Bill/85lebaront2 has a jar of it, maybe you can put some back in?  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What am I looking at that's supposed to be bad?
The Caps aren't bulging or blown up?

Edit:
It's a vehicular application.
"Potting" a few components (especially tall ones) isn't at all unusual...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
I just snapped a quick photo for reference. Nothing jumped out at me except the whiff of smoke when I opened it up. Some of the potting was dripping but that could be from manufacturing.
Apparently autometer has excellent customer service so Im going to give them a call.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not sure what you mean by  "too many amps".
The tach is only counting how often the ground connection is broken.

Hot melt glue usually look as dribbled on like that.

A few years back I would have had plenty of components to fix that antique.
But when I had to divest myself of storage, junk that had no future had to go.
Perhaps Autometer still has a service center where they can make repairs.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
According to the net, they have a great return policy. Havent had time to find out
Im not too sure what did it in, but for a while it was really slow/late to register then one day it started smoking and thats it since
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Havent made much progress on the truck but I did buy a new computer so my wife can do school online. So now I can actually see the wiring diagrams on a screen that doesn't fit in my pocket.

I have a couple questions about the diagrams.

1. On the wire descriptions, why is there a number before the color code? (16 R-LG for example)
2. Where does the wire routing number system and the wiring diagram location numbering system meet up? Im assuming they reference each other somewhere.

Dont worry, there will be plenty more stupid questions once these are answered

Hope everyone is doing well,
Sam
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Oh, but the good news is the truck fired up first turn of the key after not being started in two weeks. I guess the warm weather helps. Im not sure if Ive eliminated the draw but its a good sign.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Great on the truck!

The numbers are just to designate the circuit for referencing.

I believe what you are looking for in your second question is the COMPONENT LOCATION chart that is shown in the text part of each EVTM section. It doesn't deal with the wires themselves but rather connectors, splices, ground points, sensors, etc
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think Scott answered your questions, but congrat's on it starting so easily.  

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Thank you both! I think I need to print some of these documents out so I can see them side by side.

So here's a new issue that I am looking at now. The fuel pump has always been really loud when I turn the truck on. Recently, I've experienced a couple times where it felt like the truck was starving for fuel and cut out just idling in the driveway while I was doing something else. Tonight I was messing with it and it did it again and when I went to restart it, I realized I couldn't hear the pump came on. About 15 minutes, I tried again and everything was back to normal, smooth idle. Fuel pump was loud and it started immediately. So who knows what the previous owner did but I'm suspecting a loose wire somewhere. The hood was open and its nowhere near hot enough for me to suspect a heat soak issue.

Also, I retract my previous statement about the rear pump working.
And, just to help you help me, the tanks are both rigged with garden hose vents (previous owner). I wonder if this is making a problem on the pumps pulling.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
And of course, the "Aftermarket" Electrical Work strikes again. My Pink/blk wire->fusible link->blue wire is cut right after the fusible link...So how are my pumps powered? To be continued

I appreciate you both, Scott and Gary, for the discussion you had on Scott's fuel pump issues this past fall. That thread is very useful for me.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout

Is this relay next to the booster for the fuel pump?

Just a reminder of the mess. Theres another smaller relay in there, green. But isnt there supposed to be a pump relay and trailer light relay somewhere around here?
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
My rear pump got loud before it failed. May not be your problem, but they’re pretty quiet.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Its been loud for the 2 years Ive had the truck. It never struck me as a good sign, but it always worked so I never questioned it. Previous owner did tell me the pumps were replaced at some point, although I have reason to question the quality of work they did.

Im going to order some wire this weekend. The Yellow wire running to that relay has some spots where the insulations melted.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems