classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Electrical Help

Lance912
This post was updated on .

85 F150 This is in the engine bay on driver side wheelwell just on the outside of firewall
The solid purple wires melted,  it burned up behind the fuse box and I have no clue where it should go. I have tried to find pictures of the back of a fuse box but no luck. The starter solenoid, ignition switch, or the starter itself hung up and kept turning over causing the wires to get hot and it only melted the purple and purple/white wires. any suggestions?
85 XL F150 4x4 manual transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Electrical Help

85lebaront2
Administrator
Go here for some information: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-evtm.html

I believe from your description the connector is C121, but the EVTM does not show which wires are in which holes. I would suspect they may be the starter wires going to the transmission switch.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
Thank you, I will look into that this evening
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
So I 'm having issues finding my NSS, at least I haven't seen plunger type or the half moon ish one. Any suggestions on were to look? I have looked in all the spots suggested
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Which transmission do you have?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Lance912
You don't have a signature so I don't know what transmission you have, but assume since you are looking for the Neutral Start Switch that you have either the AOD or C6.  On the C6 the NSS is on the left side near the linkage, and the wires to it are red/light blue.  I'm sure the one for the AOD is in that area as well as Ford used the same wiring, so the wire colors will be the same as well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
I'm not sure which transmission I have, it's a 4 speed manual though
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The manual transmissions didn't have a neutral start switch.  But they have a clutch lockout switch.  And until something like 84 didn't have that.

The clutch switch is on the clutch pedal linkage, and is shown below:
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
now that looks more like what I have. thank you
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
Ok let me start over, got the truck a few months ago. I was starting it the other day and it got hungup and keep turning over even though it was running, before i could get it turned off the starter solenoid was smoking. So I have replaced the starter solenoid, voltage regulator, and ignition switch, that didn't fix anything so then i started digging around and I found a couple purple wires and a couple purple/white wires that were melted together. I have since replaced them. I still have zero power  and the buzzer won't even go off while the key is in there. I have been chasing down everything with my power probe and I can't find any issues, I have tripled checked my grounds, cables, fuses, and my connections. I checked the neutral safety switch or the thing on the clutch pedal, although there isn't a connector on it, no clue where it could be either. The wiring was poorly taken care of and I don't know what is what because the A/C and stuff aren't hooked up. Anyways sorry for all that. Any help would be great
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
so, the issue started while starting the truck and the solenoid stuck. and since then, you have no power at all. is that about right? if this is the case then I'm not sure why you replaced the voltage regulator. do you have a test light and or a volt/ohm meter available? the junction at the solenoid on the battery side post should also have the constant hot running to the ignition switch mounted on the column. the ignition switch will distribute the power from there. Except for a couple items which are hot at all times, mainly the headlight switch and any memory devices. the evtm section here is very valuable in tracing down wire colors and connections. but essentially you are tracking down the 12v potential one step at a time from battery to starter checking voltage at each juncture. this is where a good dvm is handy because you are looking for voltage loss along the way. if the battery is holding 12.62v then you need to see that at each new connection also. if at some point you get 12.25 (random number for example) then there is a drop across the last connection. old electronics can corrode and even have carbon build up if there was enough load across it. it still leaves the mystery of why the solenoid stuck. for this exact reason, I only use motorcraft relays now on any restored or resto-mod trucks, especially if for sale. once you get this sorted you may really want to consider upgrading to the newer style pmgr starter. it turns the engine faster with less current draw across the relay. but one issue at a time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
The wiring for your clutch switch (instead of neutral safety switch) will come out of the main harness that runs along the drivers side frame rail. It branches off basically directly under the drivers seat. There is a connector there too.

I have the wiring diagrams for an 84 Bronco. Does this match the connector your wires melted in:

It says C-306, but in the EVTM this is referred to as C-121 (back to what Gary was talking about).

LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
Just Curious. Have you checked your fuse links located on the passenger side inner fender well?

There is another fuse link that hooks to the battery hot at all times side of the starter solenoid.

Sometimes these can melt breaking the connection, (as they are designed to do) without disturbing the outer plastic sheath.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
I have checked the links and replaced as needed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
I believe that is my connector, I will confirm this evening. I should say that I think the wiring has been messed with by previous owners. The only issue right now is the fuel pump not coming on when the key is turned. There is a purple/orange wire running from that same connector that is no longer connected to anything, looks like it should go to the fuse box but I'm trying to locate which spot it should go.